Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Table/Seat Selection Example 1B (reposted)

FWIW This is a repost of from this thread which u should read first as it contains the leadin to the examples.

Example 1 – “Your turn to do some table and seat assessment”

In these these scenarios, use the any relevant information provided to
a. Judge the quality of the each table
b. Grade each seat or group of seats as to how good/bad/ugly you think the seat is
c. Also consider how good seats are between tables (eg the best seat at table X may not be as good as the best 3 seats at table Y).

The intent here is NOT to say “I choose Seat X to get best position on the obvious fish. mkythxbai” because in the real world you hardly ever get seat X so you need to consider which seats you would take if offered, which ones are borderline and which just aren’t worth it…the intent instead is to get you to think about whether or not each seat is worth sitting at both in isolation and in relation to other available tables

Example 1B:
Old 07-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Table/Seat Selection Example 1B (reposted)

grunch

I probably wouldn't even sit at rimito II.
Its pretty tight. The passive nature might lend me a seat and If I did sit there, it would choose seats 10 through 2. It gives me position on a couple loose players but also puts a tag to my right. Since those seats are unknown and the vpip stats shown reflect the table, I assume they have similar stats. I'm not worried about the tighty in the 8 seat, I'll have position on him and he's passive pf. His 5.3 percent raises can be narrowed down pretty easily. If those aren't available I'll take the 7 seat. Not the best with 3 to my right, but not bad with the tighty to me left and passives around me. On 2nd thought, this table seems pretty exploitable. At first glance they seem to be predictable somewhat.

Gunload is unknown. Might even be a new table which is a huge plus. I'll take the 7 through 2 seat. This givs me better position on the SLAG. Not to worried about the fish, they can sit anywhere. Not much to say on this table.

I'll sit anywhere on havnia. Table is loose passive. 2 tighties screwing the hud stats, but table vpip is high. Should be pretty good to sit anywhere. The tighties have low pfr, so they are no concern. Best seat with known info..7 Positon on both types of players.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:56 PM

I don't like Rimito because of the small pots. If I sat there, I'd shoot for 10/1 or 5/6.

Gunlord looks good. I'd probably take about any seat there except maybe 4.

I don't really like Havnia either. I guess seats 6-8 aren't bad.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:22 PM

Table Remita: Small pots, looks pretty tight, we can do better.

Gunlod II Pot size looks good. Mostly unknowns. I'd probably take any seat.

Havnia: Very small pots, mostly unknowns, too tight, no play
Old 07-30-2007, 09:19 AM

I'd sit at Alioth, Otilia, or Seinajoki.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 PM

I think you guys are too quick to judge Rinalto just because of potsize. use players/Pot ie VPIP as my first filter on a table and this example is a good but great example of why......
note: Im not saying this table is better than the other ones but just that this table is one I will sit at if I cant find a juicier one.

table averages at stars are taken over the last 20 hands (well they were when I asked them over a year ago) so obviously lobby stats can change quickly.

Basically, I dont think a 29%VPIP table is going to have ave pots of 3BB for long. 3BB pots are usually reserved for tables that are like sub 20%VPIP IMHO. My gut tells me that this table isnt going to plumment to sub 20%VPIP table but rather then ave pot size will increase towards 5BB (I dont know if it did but thats just what I'd suspect here). There are a few things at the table that, for me, make it ok.
1. seat 9 and seat 4 should be exploitable
2. Seat 10 and 1 are shortstacked....shortstacks and hugestacks are very often poor players
3. the table probably has few preflopraises. Yes, the tag in seat 3 is a concern though

so yeah. it is not a great table but I really doubt that it will stay a 3BB pot table for long (especially if Im there to stir things up) so if you offered me Seats 10, 1, 5 or 6 Im sitting at that table with the intention of isolating the greens.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KO, at first I thought you were in teh wrong thread but then I realised you are being serious and sitting at a non-full table that is likely to contain action monkeys. nice.

I'd probably take seats at 2 of the 3 tables i put stats on and take a seat at one of these non-full tables. I dont like to sit at too many short tables at the same time cos that gets kinda hectic.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:58 PM

note: i don't understand why there is talk about the avg pot stats for the table (the table avg are over too few hands to make this relevant, thought vpip is a still a good indication, and to some extent PFR) ... IMO focus more on the players then table stats

anyways:

Rimito:
mostly unknowns, contains two solid looking players, and one donkey who doesn't have that much cash (if I'm reading that right ... seat 9 is donkey, yes?)

if seat 9 had more cash sitting down on 10 or 1 would be alright ... other than that this table looks a little dry as most of the other unknowns also have little cash

gunload
table looks semi-soft with couple of guys I love (loose enough for me to put a range on, and passive enough for me to get away from my hands)
Though, the seating kind of sucks as I most want to sit in number seat 2 and the guy in seat 3 looks like he could be a challenge (oh well, if the table vpip is that high then a few guys between him and the 1st known donkey must be loose)

havnia
not much to go on ... but this table look like it wants me to play on it (looks weak tight - my fav)
Old 07-30-2007, 11:11 PM

1. Turn ring game filter for 6max off
2. Sit at 1st open 'low' 6max table
3. ??????
4. Profit!

srsly tho, out of these tables Palmedes might be a winnar, but we're not looking at that one.

Rinalto doesn't look great however there's a pretty big fish sitting there so if we could get a seat either 10 or 1 that may be worth sitting down at. The other seats at the table aren't that good but if we had another choice, seat 5 > 3, the rest I don't like.

Gunlod II, seems loosish however we'll mainly be up against unknowns which isn't great but I can live with that. I'd be looking for pos on seat 1, tho I'd like to watch the table for a little bit to see if there are any immediate noticeable fish. Seat 2 is a rly good seat here. 3 is not bad either, same as 1 tho we prefer it if mr 36 VPIP stays.
Other options are 4 or 5, however I'd prolly be rdy for some blind battles with seat 3 as he looks decent. With 2 loosish players & a slight laggy opp I like this table out of the three. I'd also like to know what your notes say on these guys, if they contain any of the following: "moran" "zomg" or "overplays" I want to play against them. I'll often write things in my notes that help me when I'm first choosing a table, lol even something like "get pos on this fool!".

Havnia, same again mostly unknown table. There doesn't seem to be any real standout fishies so again I'd want to watch for a while if I had to choose 1st tho I'd say seats 6 & 7 r ok but I'd stay away from 9 & 10.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

KO, at first I thought you were in teh wrong thread but then I realised you are being serious and sitting at a non-full table that is likely to contain action monkeys. nice.

I'd probably take seats at 2 of the 3 tables i put stats on and take a seat at one of these non-full tables. I dont like to sit at too many short tables at the same time cos that gets kinda hectic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd probably sit at 1 short-handed table... and if/when it fills up look for another, but keep sitting at it. You have to adjust fast as it fills, though. Sometimes it can fill in a matter of 2-3 hands.

The good news is if you sit just to the left of the people already at the table you're very likely in prime position when it fills up. Don't sit across the table with empty chairs between you.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The good news is if you sit just to the left of the people already at the table you're very likely in prime position when it fills up. Don't sit across the table with empty chairs between you.

[/ QUOTE ]

great minds think alike. taking the seats to the left of actionjacksons so that the tightfullringplayers are forced to sit to your left gives hero a good chance of having a great seat. I like it.