Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: If you can afford to buy a house/condo should you do it to avoid r

spex, what city are you finding deals in?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 AM

greenspan reiterates: housing still has long way to go down

home index sales hit record lows
Old 10-03-2007, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
spex, what about those real estate futures markets? They all indicate that the prices should come down at least another 20% on average in some major american cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if you're asking a question or making a point. Look guys, I'm just a real estate investor. I don't know much about economics, futures markets, capital markets, or most of the stuff you guys talk about on this forum. I do know about making money in real estate. Here is how to do it: Find good deals, determine an appropriate exit strategy and how you're going to make money, buy the property, then follow your exit plan. What you DON'T do is find a good deal and then pass on it in the hopes of maybe finding a little bit better of a deal tomorrow.

If you feel that prices will dip in the short term, then all you have to do is PLAN for that when you buy the property, i.e., you factor that dip into your exit strategy. So if I was afraid that the prices might dip 20% over the next 2 years, and I had a property that I would need to buy and sell within that time frame, I'd factor the projected 20% dip into my offer, which means I'd offer less money. Or I could develop a strategy that works REGARDLESS of the 20% dip, like maybe a lease/option.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Why is everyone giving spex such a hard time? He isn't claiming anything absurd - just that as a real estate investor he is able to find adequate deals at this time.

There are a million and one unique ways to invest in real estate and structure deals. Do we all honestly believe that because the real estate market has taken a hit in the last 2 years that all real estate investors are bust? I'd imagine its become more difficult (probably wiping out a few amateurs) as appreciation will not cover up for your mistakes any longer, but come on, there are an untold number of professionals making a living in real estate all over the country in all kinds of investments.

I have no idea what kind of RE investor spex is or where he invests, but to imply that he can't make adequate investments at this time is crazy.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the point of the question. What difference does it make? You can find deals in any city.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone giving spex such a hard time? He isn't claiming anything absurd - just that as a real estate investor he is able to find adequate deals at this time.

There are a million and one unique ways to invest in real estate and structure deals. Do we all honestly believe that because the real estate market has taken a hit in the last 2 years that all real estate investors are bust? I'd imagine its become more difficult (probably wiping out a few amateurs) as appreciation will not cover up for your mistakes any longer, but come on, there are an untold number of professionals making a living in real estate all over the country in all kinds of investments.

I have no idea what kind of RE investor spex is or where he invests, but to imply that he can't make adequate investments at this time is crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jimbo - Thank you very much.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand the point of the question. What difference does it make? You can find deals in any city.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants to know specifically what city you have found deals in.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants to know specifically what city you have found deals in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I wasn't asking him what he wanted to know, I was asking him why he wanted to know it.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:42 AM

Spex, I wasnt trying to disprove you. You are correct in everything you said in this thread. I was just wondering if you think those futures contracts are right ni the sense thta housing prices still have a long way to drop from here.