Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Riemann Hypothesis solved?

Yes, I am. Since my word isn't worth much on here, feel free to search the agendas of the various seminars that are put on by the CAS each year to answer your last question. Personally, I believe actuaries need to get much more involved in the financial analysis of their companies and they need to get integrated into their companies business goals (via management) rather than just be staff counsel who are often overruled by underwriters & top management. Also, much of the tools utilized by pricers of long-tailed lines are pretty fundamental. Work can be done there.

The trouble with advancing the science is that actuaries need to combat both intellectual property issues (i.e. don't give away sliced bread to your competitors) and internal inertia issues. This latter issue makes some of the more theoretical content in our journals less practical for immediate use. But yes, there is certainly value in some of the publications if actuaries indeed have the ability to implement the science being shared. Unfortunately, this isn't always possible in a company with a bottom line.

P.S. As a casualty actuary, I don't specifically read the NAAJ (which I thought was predominantly an SOA-side publication).
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 AM

Wow there is a 31 year gap between 1968 and 1999!!!!! I wonder what the deal is with that!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
For whatever this may be worth, MathSciNet shows 44 entries for "Items authored by Pati, Tribikram". They are

MR1972007 Dedication.
Analysis and applications (Ujjain, 1999),
v--vii, Narosa, New Delhi, 2002.

MR1970623 (2003k:00013) Analysis and applications.
Proceedings of a conference held in honor of Professor Tribikram Pati on
the occasion of his 70th birthday in Ujjain, 1999.
Edited by H. P. Dikshit and Pawan K. Jain.
Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 2002. xii+294 pp. ISBN: 81-7319-470-X

MR1780890 Pati, T. On the convergence and summability $(C,1)$ of the Lebesgue-Fourier
series.
B. N. Prasad birth centenary commemoration volume.
Bull. Allahabad Math. Soc. 14 (1999), 95--103.

MR0234166 (38 #2485) Pati, T. A second theorem of consistency for absolute summability by discrete
Riesz means.
K\=odai Math. Sem. Rep. 20 1968 454--457.

MR0044440 (13,420j) Pati, Tribikram . The development of non-Euclidean geometry during the last 150
years.
Bull. Allahabad Univ. Math. Assoc. 15, (1951). 1--8.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-25-2007, 03:08 AM

I think we've all learned something new from this thread.

It's not going to be obvious to people following one link what arxiv is or how it works. I can see how a lot of them will be misled by the "endorser" field on arxiv. (I have never submitted to arxiv myself, I might add... only the old-fashioned way to journals, or posted very obviously non-peer-reviewed things intended mostly for an internal audience.) I also imagine that there's a certain amount of danger of someone spotting a preprint that is destined to be rejected - or even already has been - and latching onto it, not realizing that it has only been submitted to, not accepted by, a journal yet.

My impression of publishing in geophysics journals, incidentally (as a statistics consultant to the authors, not usually as a coauthor) was that preprints were not usually released until after the article had been accepted in its final form, but there might be a lag of a few months before publication on paper occurred.

I have a feeling that the less rigorous review process used in some fields may never catch on in mathematics, and that's likely a good thing.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My impression of publishing in geophysics journals, incidentally (as a statistics consultant to the authors, not usually as a coauthor) was that preprints were not usually released until after the article had been accepted in its final form, but there might be a lag of a few months before publication on paper occurred.

[/ QUOTE ]
There's almost always a few month lag between acceptance and publication, except for small or highly specialized journals that don't get a high volume of submissions. For larger and more general journals, a lag of 6 months or longer is typical.