Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:25 PM

Default Overrated bands/musicians

There are a lot of bands that critics and fans seem to worship, but for some reason you just never saw what all the fuss was about. These are the types of bands where people look shocked and dismayed when they hear you don't like them. Here's a couple of mine (please don't flame me if I happen to name someone's favorite, just my personal opinion):

The Doors - I found their music droning and boring
Grateful Dead - dull jam band, mystifyingly popular
Beck - if you like Beck NYC hipsters will think you're cool, but his music is crap
Arcade Fire - modern rock flavor of the week, lame
Michael Jackson - was Thriller really that great?

What are some others u have?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

I'm with you on the Doors, but the Dead? What would you consider to be an interesting jam band then?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Doors - I found their music droning and boring
Grateful Dead - dull jam band, mystifyingly popular
Beck - if you like Beck NYC hipsters will think you're cool, but his music is crap

[/ QUOTE ]

This is terrible IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of them, can they be that overrated?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never heard of them, can they be that overrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously?! Arcade Fire are one of the bands of the moment. I'm surprised if you really haven't even heard their name before.

OP - I thought Funeral had a few really great moments, but agree the critics have gone a little too far with their sycophancy.

And I'd like to nominate Coldplay, for the most horrible overrated band of all time. I love the Royksopp remix of Clocks, but besides that everything else is unbearable.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it was. I mean come on honestly how can you not love thriller? Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean all in order, that has to be one of the best combinations of songs on any album. Part of the appeal of Thriller too is that it appeals to everyone. I don't know a single person that can't help but at least bob there head when they hear Thriller.
As for a musician I think is over-rated..I give you Kurt Cobain!
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously??? This guy started an entire genre (alternative rock) and jump started the whole grunge rock scene. He also was one of the hardest working musicians in the business.

Man, these are bad examples.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM

I confess. I don't like discussions of overrated ________ one bit. There's no quantitative or objective means to determine how a particular _________ is currently rated or should be rated, so most discussions of how a particular _________ is overrated begin with a few people mindlessly bashing on the most popular _________ in an effort to make themselves seem more informed, hip, or fashionable than the supposed masses that are in love with that most popular __________. Next up, we get people who call the people bashing that particular _________ retards, and that that particular _________ is as good as the masses think it is. If it wasn't, why would the masses love it so much, right? Finally, we get the original bashers to come back in the thread and say that they don't necessarily think that the popular ________ that they bashed is truly terrible, just that it's overrated. And still, no one knows exactly what that means.

I'm going to leave this thread open, but I would hope that people have some more interesting commentary than the fill-in-the-blank I just posted.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I confess. I don't like discussions of overrated ________ one bit. There's no quantitative or objective means to determine how a particular _________ is currently rated or should be rated, so most discussions of how a particular _________ is overrated begin with a few people mindlessly bashing on the most popular _________ in an effort to make themselves seem more informed, hip, or fashionable than the supposed masses that are in love with that most popular __________. Next up, we get people who call the people bashing that particular _________ retards, and that that particular _________ is as good as the masses think it is. If it wasn't, why would the masses love it so much, right? Finally, we get the original bashers to come back in the thread and say that they don't necessarily think that the popular ________ that they bashed is truly terrible, just that it's overrated. And still, no one knows exactly what that means.

I'm going to leave this thread open, but I would hope that people have some more interesting commentary than the fill-in-the-blank I just posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh this one is going to go nowhere. I can't seriously think of a band/musician that is overrated besides pop stars, rappers, and the occasional new flash in the pan band of the hour.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, yes it was. I mean come on honestly how can you not love thriller? Thriller, Beat It, Billie Jean all in order, that has to be one of the best combinations of songs on any album. Part of the appeal of Thriller too is that it appeals to everyone. I don't know a single person that can't help but at least bob there head when they hear Thriller.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kept on thinking this was going to segue into one of Dave Chapelle's bits on Jackson, and was disappointed it didn't. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

"He wrote Thriller, man ... Thriller!"
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 PM

lol at michael jackson being overrated, what a joke