Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2007, 04:46 PM

Default 200NL TP weak kicker in the BB

This a very standard hand that every player has multiple times per session. I'm wondering how different people play it.

Effective stacks=$200. Hero is 19/13/2.

Hero has A9 in the BB. 5 to the flop (unraised preflop).
Flop is A83_rainbow. Hero?

There are a few lines that I've tried out and I'm not sure which one is best. It obviously depends on the table, so please address stats when answering. Sometimes I like a B/B/CC line (against donks who I may be beating), sometimes a CF line (against a nitty table), sometimes a B/CF line (against a player who outplays me and is too smart/aggressive to outplay OOP), other times a B/BF line. Please don't respond by saying that it's case-specific; instead, state why you used each line for each case.
How does this change if the board is more coordinated? What if a shortie raises AI (how short is worth a call?)? What if it's 3-handed instead of 5-handed? What if you have AT instead? A2?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: 200NL TP weak kicker in the BB

betting here is a mistake, check and decide when the action gets back to you
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM

This post helps nobody. Please explain. Why is betting a mistake and what does this decision depend on?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM

I check in this spot more often than not (unless it's BVB). The more players there are, the more likely I'm checking. I think it's better not to have to pay for information when you can get it for free. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] If there's a bet from the last player, I may raise a small part of the time, but I'm usually calling. If someone bets into 2+ people, I usually fold, unless they're a maniac or terrible.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This post helps nobody. Please explain. Why is betting a mistake and what does this decision depend on?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get called you're screwed and If they all fold then you had the best hand. Betting is the worst line for value and your hand is to good to be bluffing with.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM

Ok, so you check flop. When do you call/raise/fold a flop bet? What do you do on the turn if it's checked through on the flop?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:04 PM

My call/raise/fold frequency depends on sizing, stacks, player stats, positions, tendencies, reads, timing, and all kinds of other things. Its way to general of a question to be asking in this manner. A few hands (3-4) would be better to address this. On the turn it usually depends on the turn card and who is left to act behind me.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Why are people around here so afraid to generalize their plays. I hate to break it to you, but your decision probably depends on many fewer factors than you think...why can't we start to generalize what a hero should optimally do in a few standard variations of this situation?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 PM

then your standard should probably be c/c imo, but it really sucks in a lot of spots
Old 11-26-2007, 05:35 PM

check flop.

Really evaluate bets from your opponents based on their relative position, looseness, and passivity. Be more inclined to fold against Tight/Passive and Loose/Passive guys betting, and more inclined to call against Loose/Agro and Tight/Agro guys. Be more inclined to call when you're closing the flop action, or if the guy who bets closes the action and is a indiscriminate pot-stabber. Be more inclined to fold if an early or MP guy bets out a good amount, or if the last guy to bet is not a chronic pot-stabber.

As said before, this is a situation by situation scenario on whether or not to continue in the hand. Just keep in mind you have horrible reverse implied odds, crappy position, and tons of opponents in the hand. Don't go broke in unraised pots.

*edit*
[ QUOTE ]
Why are people around here so afraid to generalize their plays. I hate to break it to you, but your decision probably depends on many fewer factors than you think...why can't we start to generalize what a hero should optimally do in a few standard variations of this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing the wrong game if you don't want to think critically to "play optimally".