Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2006, 02:38 AM

Default How to slow down the game?

Let me preface by saying that I have put in hundreds of hours in live play and have just recently gotten seriously into online play. But I very much "cut my teeth" playing live and I have just recently gotten back on the perverbial horse, playing live again. I also had a great showing my first night back in it, on Friday.

Then last night, I found myself perusing the middle-limit LHE area here, and found myself posting some well-thought out, quality replies on some of the various hands posted. When I sit here and go thru a hand that someone posts, I find myself putting myself in the OP's position and "playing the hand" and find myself making decisions quickly and correctly; correctly meaning that I am thinking the hand thru and making my decisions based on the OP's read as well as what has transpired thru the hand.
I feel "in control" of the hand and sure of myself.

BUT...

Too often, when playing live in recent months, I find myself getting a little overwhelmed by the speed of the game, as well as not "seeing" things as clearly as I do when reading thru a hand history that someone posts. By "speed of the game" I mean that, I don't feel as in control as I know I should and am not able to think as clearly as I feel I should. I'm an experienced winning player, but I feel like I am lacking now and missing too much.

I am posting this hoping that I'm not alone here and that some might be able to relate and give some hints/ideas on how to overcome this and see things clearer.

It's almost as if I want to visualize the hand that I'm in as a hand history post, as decisions are clearer to me and become "easy". Am I off my rocker wanting to do this or or or??? (please keep the laughs and giggles to yourselves, thanks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Help? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2006, 12:19 PM

Default Re: How to slow down the game?

You solved your own problem. Just like my golf coach used to say...if you want to hit a good shot then you should visualize the shot before executing. In your case, do whatever makes you feel comfortable; if recreating the hand to a post helps you make the best judgement then go for it. Playing poker and having success at poker relies heavily on being comfortable.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:55 PM

I like that you are reading posts away from the table. This will help you get comfortable with improving your own strategy. It is also true that you have less time to think in a gametime situation. In fact, this is true in virtually every game and/or sport. Hopefully, reading as many hands as possible will help to improve your instincts. The problem you mentioned is likely very common, so let me ask you to do a few things before I continue further with my advice.

1. List the top three things you pay attention to while reading a hand post.
2. List any materials that you use to assist you in posting your reply.
3. List the top three things you pay attention to while involved in a hand in live poker.
4. List the top three things you pay attention to while involved in a hand in online poker.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:46 PM

Default How Do You Get to Carnegie Hall?

You can't really slow down the pace of a game except by taking longer to act yourself. And while, when it's your turn to act, you should call for time whenever you need to "review the bidding" and think about what is going on, doing this every time can irritate the other players and turn them against you. Ideally, if it's possible, the thing to do is speed up your own decision-making.

As you study more and more posted hand histories, over time, you will get better and better at analyzing them, and you will be able to grasp them mentally and analyze them more quickly and adeptly. This developed mental agility is something you can take to the table.

Another way to get better at fast thinking at the table is simply to play more. Let yourself get accustomed to the pace of the game.

I disagree with Alan Schoonmaker, who recommends what he calls "visible thinking": working out logically every decision you make at the table. I think you should bring that logical, "visible" thinking to your hand analyses away from the table, and let that practice inform your snap judgments at the table. I do agree with Schoonmaker that you should be able to explain clearly why you played your hand the way you did -- but I think it is worthwhile to develop your snap judgment to the point where you can confidently leave the explanation for later. Logical thinking is a great way to get to the right answer, but it is painfully slow compared to how your brain normally functions.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. List the top three things you pay attention to while reading a hand post.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, I'm making sure I understand OP's reads. Then I put myself in their shoes, "following the action" and then making my own decisions on what I'd do, regardless of what they did, in fact, do. I do this for each street as well as adjust how I proceed, based on what they really did, on each street (that make sense?). Third, which really goes hand-n-hand with the second thing, is have a pretty good idea of the pot size and position.
[ QUOTE ]

2. List any materials that you use to assist you in posting your reply.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pokerstove, when it applies and the occassional pen and paper if I want to double check the amount of "ways" a villan can have a certain hand.
[ QUOTE ]

3. List the top three things you pay attention to while involved in a hand in live poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Position and my cards
2. My reads
3. Pot size and any tells I may have
[ QUOTE ]

4. List the top three things you pay attention to while involved in a hand in online poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

1.Position
2.Stats that PA shows me (reads, if you will)
3. Pot size and my cards

Curious to hear more of your input. Thanks for the replies so far, fellas.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:06 PM

Felix,

Your last reply makes me certain that you do know what to pay attention to during your live play. However, I think you need to improve your general level of focus during a session. For one, this may involve improving your physical stamina away from the table. Good exercise and eating well will improve your ability to both concentrate and follow the action. Also, drink plenty of water during a live session. Be sure to take frequent breaks and don't forget to eat; lacking these two final items can make the difference between frequent errors and excellent marginal plays.

Ok, now that the housekeeping is done with, let me get to the point. I will suggest to you the same major tip that I learned from several posts, books, and fellow players: pay attention when you are not in a hand. This doesn't only mean following the action and trying to get reads, all the while awaiting a wild pot with an unexpected showdown. Those things will happen naturally. You need to actively pay attention to the items you listed in your post, even when you are not participating.

1. Position and your cards
You said this is the most important to you, so focus on it. When you aren't involved in a hand, pick a player in late position to be the Hero. Determine what cards he would have, and how you would play them from his position. After the board starts coming out, fantasize about what hands you like to have in his position and how you might play them. One more exercise is for you to determine the current best hand and draw on every street.

2. Your reads
Once again, pick players involved in the current hand. How do you see them? How do they see you? How do they see other players? Break their logic.

Ah, and now for my favourite...

3. Pot size
This is quite possibly the key factor in me improving my live play. Always know how much is in the pot. Count the bets as they go in! For example, when the dealer says, "6 players to the flop," it's a dead giveaway that there are now 6 sb's in the pot if there was no raise, 12 sb's if there was one raise, etc. When the action starts on the flop, add each bet to the total pot size. At the turn, divide by two. Do this for <u>every</u> hand, even when you are not involved. Furthermore, with every bet that goes in, determine how many outs you would need to continue from that spot. You don't need Pokerstove at your fingertips, as this is something that can be memorized. I actually have a cheat sheet that I bring with me whenever I play, just in case I forget anything. PM me if you'd like a copy. Oh, and never pull this out at the table; it's bad for your image.

Alright, so now you have several things to pay attention to the next time you play live. Keep reading hands and posting detailed replies (instead of the usual "Bet/call the river; fold preflop" sort of response). The more you think about it, the better your instincts will become; I guarantee it. But my guarantee is voided if you don't pay enough attention at the table.

One more thing before I send you on your way: the above exercises are also great for when you're in a hand! You should have a good idea of what action you want to take before the action gets to you. Begin to anticipate what your opponents will do and how your action will change depending on what they do. There's a ton of information available in live poker, so hone those skills! With practice, taking in that information will become second nature.

I feel like I've left you with a lot here, so feel free to ask questions, and don't forget to report back after your next live session. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2006, 02:00 AM

Experience.

Plan ahead on streets based on possible action.

b
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 PM

Fellas, much thanks to all the advice. I have been working a ton and getting too little sleep so I have not had a chance to get back on here. I'll reply in depth later, but just wanted to throw a big "TY" to you, fellas, for taking the time to give me solid answers.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:46 PM

Felix,

How did everything go?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:01 PM

TKO, sorry I didn't respond earlier on this...

This has worked like a champ. I have since had 3 winning sessions over $2k at the $1/$2 NL (max buy-in $200) and won the NM State Poker Championship.

Had a couple of losing sessions sprinkled in, but as a whole, the advice has been quite helpful. Thanks again!