Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Showboat Poker Tourney

So these are SNG satellites and not scheduled satellites?
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So these are SNG satellites and not scheduled satellites?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never mind, had I paid attention while reading the whole post, I would have had my answer.

-----

I am thinking they are going to hold this tournament in one of the large ballrooms. That is where they were going to have the Opie&Anthony tournament before it was cancelled.

Hopefully they use common sense for this tournament and not start it 11-handed.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:57 AM

I found out from one of the people in suits that the tourney will be in the downstairs ballroom on Saturday September 15th at 11am.

IDK - I think I might give this tourney a shot. I don't think I can make it through the field for the ME @ Borgata for their satellite. I have a better chance at making it through a large part of this (probably) weak field and cash at Showboat.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:06 AM

Wow lot's of stuff to write today on this hmm..where should i start..

Borgata is hosting is Super Satelitte day on 9/15. They have a 250+30 at 10AM which will put you into Event 12, which is the main event, but the field for this tournament is going to be so big that chances of pulling money out of your investment into the satellite are slim to none. There are four more Satellites on Saturday, two are 500+50 with a 1 in 20 chance, one is 1000+70 and the other is 2000+100. All of which are for the Event 12.

I don't think Showboat is trying to compete with these Satellites. What they can do though is take all the overflow from the Borgata and the other rooms. When the WSOP and WPT come to Atlantic City all the poker rooms here are filled to the brim. I do think they are trying to cater to the smaller players. I know I wouldn't pay the money Borgata is asking to compete against the field they are going to draw. Showboat is going to be much smaller. They are capping this tournament at 400, if they get that many, so I would think my odds to win 20 grand are solid. Plus if I can get into this tourney with a $30 Satellite, I'm golden.

The payout structure hasn't been published anywhere yet, and I'm guessing it is a CCC issue. I know the Showboat poker room is under new management, and he is cleaning the place up nicely. The dealers and floors have been trained well. Their daily tournaments always fill now, no matter which one you play, 11AM, 2PM or 7PM and the buy-in's during the week are only 65 bucks. $100 on the weekends, and $125 on Saturday night. The 10,000 chip start is great for my play too because it gives me the oppurtunity to make a few mistakes or be sucked out on and not be crushed to a short stack. Their blind structure is solid for their tourney's so I don't see why this big tournament would be any different. I know they are having 25 minute blind rounds for the main tourney on the 15th and the blinds are starting at 25-50.

The payout structure normally at Showboat is top 10%, with first taking around 40%. Doing the math, I'm guessing that at around 260 they will meet their guarantee. Anything over and the payout is going to be more that.

If players are worried about the field being small, they shouldn't. It a guarantee. If only 100 people show, you have a 1 in 100 chance of taking home 20 grand.

The worst things about this Tourney, i.e. the possible small turn out, the WPT competition, etc, are all positives for the player who is looking to make money. The smaller the field the better the chance for you to win. It is no lose situation.

I do know that they are going to host this tournament in one of their ballrooms and that the poker room upstairs will host only cash games that day. Showboat has handled the WSOP before and they have done the WSOP Wall Street. They can handle this.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:09 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
Hopefully they use common sense for this tournament and not start it 11-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Showboat has huge tables in their room. They were made to Seat 11 players, if need be. I haven't seen them run an 11 handed tournament since new management took over though.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM

When did the Showboat poker room go under new management?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:50 AM

The Saturday night tourney fills up to 11 at a table... over 120+ players.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Saturday night tourney fills up to 11 at a table... over 120+ players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say, becuase every 7PM tournament I register for, it always starts off 11-handed. Now the 11AM tournaments are different. Those do not have as high of a turnout, usually 50-60, so there is no need to start off 11-handed.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a rumor mcbride. It is true. Showboat is hosting a Guarantee Tournament. It not a 20 grand prize pool though. It's a 20 grand FIRST PLACE- guaranteed. Registration for it is open now and you can buy a seat outright at the Boat for 225+25 or you can stop in and play a 25+5 Satelitte for the seat. It's a Turbo Satelitte with ten minute blind levels. They have them about every other hour, all day, every day. The sign ups are always up and they drop them as soon as they get ten people. 30 bucks for a chance to win $20,000 isn't a bad deal. They are hoping to get a great turn-out and exceed the guarantee. I think they will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow is this typical on satellite seats where they take a house cut twice? They are getting $50 total from the ten players for each satellite. Then the prize includes another $25 for the final tourney. I do realize that there is an increased house cost for running satellites. But is it double what it costs to run the tourney?

+EV
Old 08-22-2007, 06:25 PM

$5 is a nice round number. Much easier to do things in multiples of $5, instead of $2.50. $25 extra rake is not that bad, $25 to the buy-in for the winner, and then you have to pay the dealer and house of operating expenses. Very few poker tournaments I have seen have a total different then a multiple of $5. The buy-in for the Showboat tournaments is $53+$12, much easier for cashiers to handle then $53+$10