Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM

Default Standard Rope-a-Dope or Southern-Fried Donkified?

Early during a PS$10. Table watched me triple up when my flopped straight holds up against a flopped set and pocket kings.

Looking for a line check here. Am I way outta line or is this standard?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) internettexasholdem.com

UTG+1 (t1395)
MP1 (t1910)
Hero (t4830)
MP3 (t1720)
CO (t1395)
Vilian(t1305)
SB (t2835)
BB (t1440)
UTG (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Vilian calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

I know open limping isn't the most likely the best course of action, any other lines here? Can't see folding but not sure if raising is right.

Flop: (t120) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t90</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Vilian raises to t180</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t90.

I figured this was a great Flop and most likely missed 'em. Seen a LOT of the mini-raises in these type of situations and it's rarely been a strong indicator at these levels.

Turn: (t480) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Vilian bets t240</font>, Hero calls t240.

1/2 pot seemed weak but he could be drawing me in, thoughts?

River: (t960) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Vilian bets t300</font>

Hero makes easy call for a 1560 pot?

Even smaller than the Turn action, either a monster (which aren't under my beds) or he's just looking for me to fold, sure as heck didn't leave himself much behind [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2006, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Standard Rope-a-Dope or Southern-Fried Donkified?

You definitely should have used your stack more preflop here. ATs is quite nice with the amount of chips you have - throw them around a bit and set yourself up as table captain. I'm not saying become reckless, but with 4800 early in the tourney, it is very easy to steal blinds and work on small pots with minimal risk. Since you didn't raise preflop though, I probably wouldn't have bet the flop with that board unless you at least had a draw or knew for sure you could take it right there. More confusing though, is your call after a raise. Doubling your bet is something to seriously watch. Without knowing much about the player, unless he slowplayed As or something, I'm guessing he has a pocket pair under Qs, a 3, or the obvious Q.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Don't c-bet rags against four opponents. Your fold equity is low and your call/raise equity is virtually non-existent. Fold to the flop raise, fold to the turn bet, fold to the river bet.

Also, I like an open raise PF.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:03 PM

This would have been a better time for the fake-slow-play-bluff. On the flop, you check, someone bets, and you call (if more than one person calls, abort; if it checks through, you could bet the turn or check/call since you've made something here). Then bet the turn. Since you hit the turn, I'd bet the river again (a weak-lead), and fold if raised.

The reason this works is because practically everyone slow plays a Q here at this level.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like I was, "Southern-Fried Donkified" here. I'd like to try and post hands that may've went right, but for the wrong reason(s) as it appears here and not just "lost hands" asking how I coulda played better.

Moose, the only reason I led out here is due to the texture of the Flop, figuring even if the 3 did hit one of the blinds, then they might be moved off easily and seriously doubting since 2 of 'em out there, that the queens hit anyone, but again, appreciate it.