Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: *** The Official Mets will win the NL East Thread! ***

[ QUOTE ]

You also don't think that the Mets pitching is playing over there heads? Team ERA of 2.67 so far? I know Glavine for the last couple of years has looked good early and terrible for the rest of the season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, last year he looked amazing before the all-star break with his 4.94 ERA, 9 HR and 46 K/41 BB over 102 innings. He then really tailed off in the second half of the season after he used his curve ball more effectively with his 2.22 ERA, 5 HR and 59 K/20 BB over 119 innings. A very sharp downtrend - nice analysis.

The Mets have beaten up on the bad teams in the NL East, and it's very early in the season. Luckily, wins in the beginning of the season count just as much as wins in September(which most fans choose to ignore). All they can do is beat the bad teams when they play them!
-James
Old 04-13-2006, 02:19 PM

I'm sorry, last year for once he did better in the second half of the season.

If you look at the two years previous, he started decent in 2003 (5-5) and finished the year 9-14, the next year, 7-3 and ended the year 11-14. So yeah, he has done it. I'm sorry I missed last year (didn't do fantasy baseball last year) but I knew the two previous years he played well and then fell on his ass.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, last year for once he did better in the second half of the season.

If you look at the two years previous, he started decent in 2003 (5-5) and finished the year 9-14, the next year, 7-3 and ended the year 11-14. So yeah, he has done it. I'm sorry I missed last year (didn't do fantasy baseball last year) but I knew the two previous years he played well and then fell on his ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably, his last 130 innings are more important than the 200 that preceeded them. He has looked great and changed his approach, so I'm not worried too much about Glavine. I am worried about the Mets rotation as a whole - as I have noted in other threads.
-James
Old 04-13-2006, 02:51 PM

Your probally right. I used to live in Ithaca and could watch an occasional game. Now down South I can't but from what I saw in previous years, he didn't look that great. I hope he has fixed whatever was wrong, I do still like former Braves as long as their not beating up on the Braves.

I know he hasn't been half as good as what he used to be, other than the second half as last year as you pointed out.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I know he hasn't been half as good as what he used to be, other than the second half as last year as you pointed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

"of last year"
Old 04-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Aside from the hole at 2B, what bothers me the most about this team is Willie Randolph's inability to put together a good lineup.

Reyes, he of the career .304 OBP, should not be leading off. 2nd is probably too high for a 34 year old LoDuca (and Chris Woodward was batting 2nd in the lineup this afternoon). 3rd isn't a terrible spot for Beltran, except that he's probably the team's best candidate for a lead-off hitter. Finally, David Wright, who is almost certainly the team's best bat, is hitting 5th.

I'm sure someone else in this thread (JoA?) could do better, but, at first glance, I'd put the lineup together like so:

1. Beltran
2. Wright
3. Floyd
4. Delgado
5. Reyes (?)
6. Lo Duca (?)
7. Nady
8. Hernandez

Wright and Floyd maybe should be switched in that order, and I'd really like to see them trade for a real second baseman, someone who could at least knock Nady down to 8th in the order.
Old 04-13-2006, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from the hole at 2B, what bothers me the most about this team is Willie Randolph's inability to put together a good lineup.

Reyes, he of the career .304 OBP, should not be leading off. 2nd is probably too high for a 34 year old LoDuca (and Chris Woodward was batting 2nd in the lineup this afternoon). 3rd isn't a terrible spot for Beltran, except that he's probably the team's best candidate for a lead-off hitter. Finally, David Wright, who is almost certainly the team's best bat, is hitting 5th.

I'm sure someone else in this thread (JoA?) could do better, but, at first glance, I'd put the lineup together like so:

1. Beltran
2. Wright
3. Floyd
4. Delgado
5. Reyes (?)
6. Lo Duca (?)
7. Nady
8. Hernandez

Wright and Floyd maybe should be switched in that order, and I'd really like to see them trade for a real second baseman, someone who could at least knock Nady down to 8th in the order.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that could possibly make your proposed lineup more ridiculous is to put Hernandez in the 9-hole and bat the pitcher 8th. Obviously Reyes obp isn't ideal for a leadoff man, but with the players the Mets put in the field every day, he's clearly the best choice.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously Reyes obp isn't ideal for a leadoff man, but with the players the Mets put in the field every day, he's clearly the best choice.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Clearly"? Why is speed on the basepaths more important than getting on base an extra one time out of every seven appearances for the leadoff hitter? I'm willing to be wrong, but don't just tell me I've made an obvious mistake and leave it at that.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice start to the game today (Beltran HR, Delgado 1B, Wright HR, Floyd HR)...

[/ QUOTE ]

The start of this game was awesome. I actually just got back from RFK a little while ago. There were probably just as many Mets fans there as Nats fans.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1. Beltran
2. Wright
3. Floyd
4. Delgado
5. Reyes (?)
6. Lo Duca (?)
7. Nady
8. Hernandez

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing that could possibly make your proposed lineup more ridiculous is to put Hernandez in the 9-hole and bat the pitcher 8th. Obviously Reyes obp isn't ideal for a leadoff man, but with the players the Mets put in the field every day, he's clearly the best choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh the hilarity of criticizing Willie's lineups and then coming up with this laugher.

I think Willie's done alright with a lineup that's scoring 6.6 runs per game.