Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Miami Vice: Quick review/thoughts

i thought this movie was entertaining yet bad. The dialogoue sucked, foxx didn't have a big enough role because of farrels love scenes. Everything was predictable. Really expected a lot more.
2/4 stars
Old 08-05-2006, 04:54 PM

i loved it.

i didn't "feel time" during the movie. during some stuff, like superman, i think "boy they could REALLY have edited this part away to save us some time..." during other stuff, like lotr: return of the king, i'm not exactly hating it but i have a clear sense that time is passing. this was a 2.5hr flick that actually deserved to be a 2.5hr flick. it almost felt episodic in that my attention span kept getting reset at key points.

farrell's constant eye-scowl/gruff voice was over the top. it was great to see him in a role with authority though, he was in control in every scene. i haven't seen many of his movies, but he seems like a tool in a lot of them. he's not a marquee actor for me, but i like the guy and he was the only thing i enjoyed in daredevil. i liked the stache/hair too.

jamie foxx was almost a prop in the movie. kinda surprising, but it didn't detract from it at all. his acting was really stale, and it made the crockett "character" more immersive (just because he was actually playing a character). the two together have no chemistry whatsoever. i don't know whose fault that is, but based on how it played out i'd be inclined to pick another tubbs ("rico"). i loved the support actors: the asian chick, the underlord, the overlord. even the top agency guy was nice to have around, even though his role didn't account for a lot.

i think i would watch just about any nightscape directed by mann, i love the cinematography. i thought it was better than collateral in that regard. he seems to be picking up audioslave as an official soundtrack band. that's fine, it works.

the key relationship in the movie was shockingly well-developed for a cop movie. i say cop movie because, to me, it wasn't really an action movie. heat had a lot more action, and more riveting at that. miami vice is over collateral in action though, collateral seemed to rely more on suspense that kinetics.

with the soso reviews i was shocked at how much i liked it. i would say overall i actually like the movie better than both heat and collateral. heat has many more memorable moments, and collateral is more interesting. when i think of heat i just think of the moments though, and i have less and less patience between them each time i see it. collateral i've seen several times with its hd broadcasts, and it's starting to fade. a lot of it is keyed on the suspense, and it's easy to get jaded on that. i think miami vice will hold up better for me simply because of the atmosphere. mann does a tremendous job of setting it up and maintaining it, and atmosphere is something i HIGHLY value.

the movie isn't very realistic though, and it doesn't have anything in the way of killer moments. if those are harping points for you in this kind of movie, i can't see how you'd like it. i'm not saying this in a "you don't get subtlety" way either. i love matrix-like scenes too, and i don't think you're "not getting it" if you don't enjoy the movie. i think if you watch collateral and LOVE the way the night/city is portrayed more than anything else about it, you might love miami vice. i'm a sucker for environmental immersion.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:30 AM

not enough car chases in this movie. We never find out who the informant is, and the dialogue was bad. Also Farrell had several scenes where he made ridiculous faces. Other than that, I thought this movie was dope.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 AM

My 6 year old niece's review:

A sappy love story with a lot of action.

~D
Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
farrell's constant eye-scowl/gruff voice was over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought all his mannerisms/etc. were dead-on Don Johnson from the TV series.