Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 11:39 AM

Default Re: Miami Vice: Quick review/thoughts

They needed to rework the plot, cut out the romace (boring as [censored]), have a new reason for things to go bad, and then they would have had a shorter, but much tighter and more entertaining movie.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:06 PM

anyone else notice that Jamie Foxx's character is reading "Card Player" in one scene?
Old 07-29-2006, 01:39 PM

I hear Jamie Foxx tells Colin Ferrel to to never touch his radio.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone else notice that Jamie Foxx's character is reading "Card Player" in one scene?

[/ QUOTE ]
yeah when they were in the all white condo
Old 07-29-2006, 06:28 PM

i liked it, although I missed the rockin' Jan Hammer music.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:52 AM

FWIW, Jan Hammer did an interview with a local radio station promoting a new CD.

Will be a remix of some of the standards, and some cuts that were never released on the original soundtrack.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:24 AM

saw it earlier tonight, thoughts:

-in general, very enjoyable, excellent soundtrack, the visuals are lush, the boats were badass. the scene where they boat to havana in particular was very sweet. i was feeling the club scenes, esp the second one where farrel and the chinese chick were dancing, they could have put more of that stuff in. but all the settings feel authentic, and its a lot of fun just to watch, very well shot and they get the feeling they needed to perfectly.

-rico's gf getting blown up after they save her and she went back in was SUPER LAME. HOLY CRAP DIDNT SEE THAT COMING AT ALL! also, the little speech the chick give before shooting the white guys spine was extremely bad, it made me want to vomit.

-in general, farrell and foxx aren't that anything special. farrell does a great job at times for the first hour or so, but otherwise they didnt blow me away. there is a really weird scene on the freighter where foxx says something like "man don't forget she is on the other side of the game", well yeah, it took 30 minutes for them to go from cops to balla drug smugglers.

-the ending shootout was relatively poor IMO. we get it, michael mann knows how to make shootouts awesome by using super loud gunshots. i've seen that movie already. nothing really happens in the shootout, there were a few sweet takedowns with large caliber bullets, but other than that it wasnt much special, could have been more there.

-in conclusion, there are a couple lame sequences which the movie would have been better without, but they are definitely outweighed by how badass the movie is and how good it looks.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Gong Li's (Isabella) character well developed or do they just rely on the old "dragon lady" archetype?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty well developed for a summer-action movie I'd say. She looked hot, especially considering I think she's 45 or something.

Jungle - nice review, pretty much agree with your sentiments completely. This is not on the level of Heat or Collateral but it's awesome looking, the boat scenes own, and the action scenes in general definitely get the job done.

-Al
Old 07-30-2006, 02:00 PM

I didn't really like it TBH. Collateral/Heat were both good good movies IMO, but I just didn't like this one as much. The dialouge was poor and the storyline was cluttered/disorganized. The scenary was good and there were many exotic scenes involving fast cars/sandy beaches/high tech planes.

The ending was better, but I've seen better in Mann's previous films.

Overall, I rate this movie maybe 2/4 stars.
Old 07-30-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
-the ending shootout was relatively poor IMO. we get it, michael mann knows how to make shootouts awesome by using super loud gunshots. i've seen that movie already. nothing really happens in the shootout, there were a few sweet takedowns with large caliber bullets, but other than that it wasnt much special, could have been more there.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL @ you thinking Mann shootouts are awesome because he uses super loud gunshots.