Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Computer/best buy buying advice

My computer just died, so I'm going to buy a new one. It was a Dell laptop that I had had for 6 years. I want a new laptop.

I don't need much in the way of processor, graphics, etc. - all I really want is a pretty good screen and a decent amount of storage. I want to spend like $700-800. I might still play poker on it, but I don't do heavy gaming or video editing.

Should I order one custom made online from Dell, or should I just go get one premade at a store like Best Buy? I am going to be leaving Seattle to drive to school in Chicago on Tuesday, so I would like to have a laptop for the drive but it isnt critical. If I do get one from a store, what brand or store should I go to? I know Walmart has Dells. Also, can I haggle on the price at a store like Best Buy/Comp USA/Walmart/whatever?

Anything I should get in a computer that will be worth way more than I pay? Anything I should NOT get?

Also, please don't just give me a bunch of "OMG DELL SUCKS" if you're going to recommend a brand, say why.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Computer/best buy buying advice

Sony VAIOs are reliable with great screens and there's always some special to get the lowest end for 600-700 bucks. You can probably pick up this special at any big electronics store like Best Buy or Circuit City.

I would browse Best Buy's website to find the special for the cheapest laptop and take note of the model number. Then check the websites for Circuit City, CompUSA, et al. to find out who's got the best deal for that model. Then call around and find out where it's in stock.

Oh and I recommend a VAIO because the screen is great on the eyes and it will stay crisp and clear for years.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:45 PM

Also,

Should I/Do I need to get vista?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:47 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

sonys are crap. most bloatware of any company. they do have the best screens though.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also,

Should I/Do I need to get vista?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're going to school right? It's probably easier to find pirated software (MS Office) for XP than for Vista. Vista adds no value for your needs.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:55 PM

But am I going to want Vista two years from now and be annoyed I didn't get it with a new computer?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 AM

I just got an HP Pavilion 6400series from Best Buy for around that (a little more, because of software bundle and extended warranty) and I couldn't be happier.

Vista is fine as long as you have someone to help you disable some of the more annoying features.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 AM

Do not go to Best Buy or any similar store or use their websites unless you want to be ripped off so hard that your face will bleed. Use NewEgg or some such site or just order direct. The used section on the Dell website is a good option as well.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got an HP Pavilion 6400series from Best Buy for around that (a little more, because of software bundle and extended warranty) and I couldn't be happier.

Vista is fine as long as you have someone to help you disable some of the more annoying features.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will older programs work on Vista? Like older copies of Office and The Sims? Also poker programs?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:06 AM

Also, does anyone know anything about the Dell small business computers? Better value?