Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 AM

Default Thinking of running for state house.

I'm thinking of running for my state legislature.

I live in New Hampshire. NH is a long-time Republican state. We have no state income tax and no sales tax on anything. This works out well for me because I'm a life-long Republican and I hate playing taxes.

NH is sourrounded by liberal states. MA, ME, VT, these are all liberal states. And for years liberals have been moving to NH to escape the punative taxation of their home states. Now, I don't mind this at all, except that when they more here, they all start voting Democrat.

The capper for me was two years ago in the '06 election. My wife's aunt, who had only recently moved to NH from MA, paid the $2.00 to have her name appear on the ballot as a state rep from her district. As a Democrate.

I know this woman. She is a chowder-head. I'm not saying all Democrates are chowder-heads, or even that most Democrats are chowderheads. I'm just saying that this particular woman, who only happens to be a Democrate, is a chowder-head whoes brain has never been violated by an original idea. And this chowder-head won a seat in the NH State House. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I figure if this carpet-bagger can do it, so can I. Moreover, I might even be able to do some good for poker while I'm at it. Currently there are two "for charity" poker rooms in NH. I figure if I can get ellected I might be able to enact some legislature that can make life easier for these poker rooms - Higher stakes, more games, that kind of thing. Hell, I might even be able to get a lisence to own and operate one myself. Wouldn't that be just the [censored]?

Anyway, has anyone here ever tried running for state office?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Thinking of running for state house.

From what I understand, this is significantly easier in New Hampshire than it is in any other state. I believe NH has the largest state house in the country, despite being one of the smallest states. You barely need 1,000 votes to get elected.