Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

I like the Ortiz at 1B, Manny at DH, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew OF that Silver threw out today.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Informative thread. Good read. I will keep up on it.

I'm not a Sox fans (Cards all the way!), but I really wish I was. You guys are in excellent shape. When you have problems like "what are we going to do with Crisp?" that should let you know what kind of condition your franchise is in.

Anyhow, congrats on the WS win.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!!!

Tough problem to have, eh?

Yes, we are truly fortunate.

I threw out the roster as an exercise for thought.

There are ways to get there if one thinks about it.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the Ortiz at 1B, Manny at DH, Youk at 3rd, Ellsbury/Crisp/Drew OF that Silver threw out today.

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. I'll let others elaborate...
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What do you think?

Starting Lineup

LF- Ellsbury
2b – Pedroia
DH- Ortiz
SS – A-Rod
3b – Lowell
RF – Drew
1B – Youkilis
C – Varitek
CF – Crisp

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Manny Ramirez should still be in the lineup. He's kinda good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dynasty,

He's absent in this lineup because he's no longer a Red Sox, which enables them to afford A-Rod.

Now, before folks start excoriating me for including A-Rod in any potential Sox lineup, let me say that it scares the hell out of me as I've always been concerned with his detached aloofness and his movement history screams out that when he leaves a team it gets better.

Be that as it may, should he find his way to the Sox it might be akin to Randy Moss finding his way to the Pats.....i.e. the peer pressure for him to get with it would be so strong (Papi, Varitek, Wakefield, Schilling, etc.) that it would have a significantly positive effect on his attitude.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd like it too, not sure how papi would feel about it though. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-30-2007, 09:44 PM

I actually thought of the same thing Vyse did, but you probably see Ortiz's numbers dip a bit, and Manny being the Manny we don't like because he wants to play the field. It's too drastic a change so it'll never happen, but it's not the craziest thing ever if we find ourselves with only Youk to fill both the 3B and 1B slots.

Probably the worst thing about it is the decrease in value of Ellsbury in LF.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

1 - Beckett
2 - Matsuzaka
3 – Lester
4 – Bucholtz
5a – Schilling
5b – Wakefield

[/ QUOTE ]
lol @ putting lester #3 there

lester has run like god in his major league career. with average luck his major league ERA is in the 5.50 range and nobody thinks hes a big deal.

scouts like him and hes recovering from cancer so maybe he takes a big step forward next year, but he shouldn't be getting any starts next april unless lots of people are hurt or he shows a lot of progress in ST

[/ QUOTE ]

You can lol all that you'd like, but the kid had loads of plus qualities before cancer struck.

It appears that he's gotten past the disease, which is a HUGE accomplishment, and has come out even stronger psychologically than anyone had any reason to expect.

I see no reason why he can't get his fastball back up in the 95-96 range (which is where he sometimes was before his illness). If that happens, along with his other pitches and the fact that he is a lefty, he could be very special.

I know that there's a lot of "ifs" involved, but there are more reasons, IMO, to lean to the positive than the negative in this case.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He's absent in this lineup because he's no longer a Red Sox, which enables them to afford A-Rod.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate Silver, in the same article referenced above, had a very good point about A-Rod. Boston doesn't need him. Even if they don't resign Lowell (which I am thinking they might), do you really want BOS to sign him for 10 years and 300M? It will be good for a few years, but he isn't going to bring more people to the games and BOS should be competing for a while anyways.

craig
Old 10-30-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think Manny Ramirez should still be in the lineup. He's kinda good.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Did he die in a car accident? Based on your roster, it doesn't seem you got much for him in a trade.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nate Silver, in the same article referenced above, had a very good point about A-Rod. Boston doesn't need him. Even if they don't resign Lowell (which I am thinking they might), do you really want BOS to sign him for 10 years and 300M? It will be good for a few years, but he isn't going to bring more people to the games and BOS should be competing for a while anyways.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya loud and clear and I'm very conflicted (as I noted above) surrounding the potential for that to happen.

That's why I threw the thought out.....to see what other's think of both the viability and probability of this scenario.