Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2007, 07:18 PM

Default WSOP DSO on Stars - Very Early w/QQ

WTF do I do on the turn here? I feel like checking lets him bet into me 100% and all bet amounts sorta suck too.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t10/t20
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to t55</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t165</font>, BB folds, MP3 calls t110 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t240)</font>.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (t350, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t280</font>, MP3 calls t280 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t630)</font>.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t910, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero ???? </font>

Notice villian only has t650 left.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Re: WSOP DSO on Stars - Very Early w/QQ

You are not folding, so check and let him bet.

If you bet he may fold some hands that are behind, but never folds anything ahead.

Hopefully he has a smaller pair, but given the pot size I don't think you can fold.

edit: he probably shoves smaller pairs on the flop so ugh...but I'm still not folding

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Betting here's really really bad. I don't get why you'd do it.

Edit: Especially the way you framed the question. Why is it a bad thing if he bets 100% of the time we check? We def figure to be ahead of his range.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:51 PM

Check/call and if for some reason it's not his whole stack, put him in on the river.

You have way too much in this pot to give up because an A fell against this guy's short stack, I'd have to put him on a 99-JJ type of hand.

He could of course have something like AKdd, AQdd and hit a 3 or 6 outter on the turn, but if you did tough [censored]. I think he has a worse hand often enough to make it worth it, and you obviously cannot bet out once the A hits.

If as you say he bets 100% of the time it's checked to him (exaggeration I'm sure), then you obviously check/call.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:52 PM

c/c turn, if he checks put him in on like 90% of rivers
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like checking lets him bet into me 100% and all bet amounts sorta suck too.

[/ QUOTE ]

So checkcall.

I'm not sure why he would bet 100% because if he doesn't have an ace he should have enough sense to realize that it's much more likely you have one than him (he can only Ax of diamonds and probably only w/ big kicker, you can have any big A). And his Ax diamonds should be shoving the flop.

But even so, there's just not many ways he can have an ace, and he'll bet enough with other stuff that you have to call.

Also, if he does have Ax diamonds, especially AK, there's basically no overall (for the hand) EV difference between getting it allin on the flop and getting it in on this turn. Because he would call a turn shove on a blank anyway. I may not have articulated this well, but what I'm getting at is similar to saying "I reraised enough with AA to deny implied odds, so I stack off on any flop" - folding is necessarily exploitable and the only real reason to ever fold is if you know your opponent isn't capable of bluffing or something.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/c turn, if he checks put him in on like 90% of rivers

[/ QUOTE ]
boom
Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 PM

I'd put him in on the turn.

If he has the ace u r going to pay him (likely only ak floats the flop or adxd) There are 20+ drawing hands if villain is OOL which will still pay you while they have outs.

99-JJ won't put another chip in so it doesn't matter for them. KK probably moves in on the flop if not before.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:31 AM
 is offline

Check/call turn. I don't even think an A is in his range because I think he shoves bare overs instead of floating with them and shoves any that connected with that flop. He also shoves Adxd too.

With that figured out, I want to figure out the best way to get him to commit more chips with a small PP that he was perhaps waiting for the turn to make his decision for. If he's remotely aggro, he'll love that A as a bluffing opportunity. If he's not, then you leave the chance he might call your river bet because he thinks you're bluffing.

All in all, I see no benfits of firing the turn or even considering a fold at any point.