Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Help me help my dog

This is why many working breeds have had their tails docked for centuries.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:27 PM

Awesome pose from Mario in that 2nd pic.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To contain the bleeding when it happened i put a sock over it and wrapped it with medical tape so we could get her to the vet. DO NOT USE RUBBER BANDS as someone jokingly (i hope) recommended above, you'll just create a tourniquet and the vet will take the tail off.

[/ QUOTE ]I suggested the rubber-bands, but I don't think I meant as tight as you're imagining. My rubberbands would only be as tight as your medical tape. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
-Sam
Old 08-09-2006, 02:29 AM

Thanks for all the advice folks. I used a sock and hair binder that was lying around. I don't think it was too tight. It's off now that she's sleeping. Wow she just farted loud, what a lady she is. Mario didn't take much interest in the sock and Coco gave up after her first inspection. Quite surprising. I'll post what the vet says tomorrow. Liquid bandage sounds like a good idea. I just had no idea what sort of medical treatments would be ok for dogs. You'd like to assume it wouldn't make a big deal so you decide to try neosporin and as you're on the phone with the vet she screams "WTF! You used Neosporin!" And I turn around and my dog is dead. I heard of onions killing a dog once, or at least leading to the disease that killed it. I figured sterile bandage and tape followed up by sock and hair binder were pretty safe bets.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 AM

my dog's name is coco too but he is a small maltese and doesnt have this problem. maybe u should get ur dog's tail cut off at the vet
Old 08-09-2006, 08:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for all the advice folks. I used a sock and hair binder that was lying around. I don't think it was too tight. It's off now that she's sleeping. Wow she just farted loud, what a lady she is. Mario didn't take much interest in the sock and Coco gave up after her first inspection. Quite surprising. I'll post what the vet says tomorrow. Liquid bandage sounds like a good idea. I just had no idea what sort of medical treatments would be ok for dogs. You'd like to assume it wouldn't make a big deal so you decide to try neosporin and as you're on the phone with the vet she screams "WTF! You used Neosporin!" And I turn around and my dog is dead. I heard of onions killing a dog once, or at least leading to the disease that killed it. I figured sterile bandage and tape followed up by sock and hair binder were pretty safe bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

We were the same way, but you'd be surprised what 'human' medicines you can give a dog. They can actually have pepto for upset stomachs, and childrens liquid or chewable tylenol to reduce pain when injured.

The liquid bandage will work well so I'd suggest picking some up. Our lab runs like crazy and our yard is fairly rocky so she's always cutting up her feet so we use that and neosporen.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We were the same way, but you'd be surprised what 'human' medicines you can give a dog. They can actually have pepto for upset stomachs, and childrens liquid or chewable tylenol to reduce pain when injured.

[/ QUOTE ]]
Add to this list Immodium AD or the like for poopy puppies. Vet said a half of a tablet would be just fine for the dog.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM

I would suggest not giving your dog aspirin or tylenol without going over it with your vet first. There are probably better options for mild pain relief.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest not giving your dog aspirin or tylenol without going over it with your vet first. There are probably better options for mild pain relief.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was told directly by my vet about the childrens chewables.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:34 PM

The vet basically echoed what OOT said. I've seperated the dogs during the day, added some neosporin to the bandage and taped further up the tail making it harder to remove. She mentioned bringing Coco in for bandaging with Elastacon (A very sticky, more expensive tape) if that doesn't work. She made docking sound like an unlikely and unnecessary alternative. Hopefully the wound starts making progress now. If not Coco's going in to get micro-chipped in a couple weeks anyways.