Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 08:54 PM

Default What to do on the turn?

Villain is quite passive. He will bet top pair but switches to call-down mode if raised. He tends to slowplay sets or better. I thought there was some chance he would fold top pair to an all-in raise on the flop but not always. Also, I thought there was a fair chance that he give me a free card on the turn if I just called; so that is what I did

What are good options after he leads the turn?
What range do you put him on?

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($92.46)
BB ($50)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($50)</font>
MP ($55.69)
CO ($46.46)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($69.54)</font>

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $2, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($6.75) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5</font>, CO folds, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($16.75) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $12</font>
Old 08-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: What to do on the turn?

I'd just call, seems like he has a big enough hand to pay you off if you hit river.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Calling the flop is fine. You don't have to semi-bluff raise all of your draws.

You have a monster draw on the turn, but I think you have very little fold equity. A passive villain firing both the flop and the turn looks strong.

Also, I don't think he's deep enough to justify a call here. I'm not exactly sure what the odds are, but you probably complete your draw like one in four times and you have to call $12. He has $31 behind. Calling would be very marginal. You would have to stack him 100% of the time when you hit to make calling +EV.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM

So youre saying fold the turn?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling the flop is fine. You don't have to semi-bluff raise all of your draws.

You have a monster draw on the turn, but I think you have very little fold equity. A passive villain firing both the flop and the turn looks strong.

Also, I don't think he's deep enough to justify a call here. I'm not exactly sure what the odds are, but you probably complete your draw like one in four times and you have to call $12. He has $31 behind. Calling would be very marginal. You would have to stack him 100% of the time when you hit to make calling +EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

we have 15 outs (2:1 to hit on the river) and we're getting 2.33:1 odds on a turn call.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having just read Fat Nicky's post, it looks like a call.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having just read Fat Nicky's post, it looks like a call.

[/ QUOTE ]do you offer coaching?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:18 PM

In retrospect, that is what I am wondering if I should have done.
In the hand I re-raised enough to put him in, he called with AhQh and I won when my straight hit the river.

The thing is that I am not at all sure I get payed enough when I hit and villain has a made hand to make calling +EV. Raising must have some fold equity for it to be correct. But if villain calls my raise, all-in, here with overcards and the nut flush draw then raising must have pretty much 0 fold equity against his made hands. So what options are left?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, that is what I am wondering if I should have done.
In the hand I re-raised enough to put him in, he called with AhQh and I won when my straight hit the river.

The thing is that I am not at all sure I get payed enough when I hit and villain has a made hand to make calling +EV. Raising must have some fold equity for it to be correct. But if villain calls my raise, all-in, here with overcards and the nut flush draw then raising must have pretty much 0 fold equity against his made hands. So what options are left?

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming our outs are clean, you're getting direct odds to call the turn, and you have implied odds most of the time as well. also, 6 of your 15 outs are well disguised.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:32 PM

So do you have villain as most likely on an overpair or AT?

[ QUOTE ]

assuming our outs are clean, you're getting direct odds to call the turn, and you have implied odds most of the time as well. also, 6 of your 15 outs are well disguised.

[/ QUOTE ]