Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Nate McLouth

Does anyone have any idea why the Pirate have been sitting him the last few days. I picked him up off the wire in my Roto league and this is infurating.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Nate McLouth

caveat emptor. From Pirates Q&A with Dejan Kovacevic, Thursday, September 6, 2007

[ QUOTE ]
Q: What's your take on Nyjer Morgan starting over Nate McLouth in center field lately? I know it's just been a few games, and I know Jim Tracy is letting him get his feet wet, but why at McLouth's expense? Especially if the Pirates think Andrew McCutchen will be there in a few years, anyway. I think McLouth has earned his spot out there. I'd hate to see him relegated to bench duty again as he is obviously someone who needs to be out there every day to be productive.

Matt Slaba of Wagner, S.D.

KOVACEVIC: As I mentioned in this space last week, the Pirates' view on McLouth is that, while they are delighted by the great August he had, they do not -- yet -- see him as a starter. That can be easily detected through some descriptions of McLouth as "playing within himself" and "knows who he is" and that sort of thing that strongly suggests limitations.

McLouth, without question, has earned a look there. Never mind his steady fielding, good baserunning and decent average. Consider just this: He had the second-most extra-base hits of any center fielder in baseball in August. That alone, I think, is enough to offset him from the usual string of Tike/Adrian/Duffy second-half comparisons. None of those guys hit doubles or home runs with that frequency for any significant stretch, and a power-hitting center fielder is quite the precious commodity.

That said, never underestimate Tracy's indelible blueprint for what a lineup should look like. Dave Roberts is his prototype leadoff man, and there can be no question he would love to have someone like that. It is way too soon to say he sees Morgan as being the answer there, but it is not too soon to say he is interested in finding out.

[/ QUOTE ]
link