Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Golf Epiphanys

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe not quite an epiphany, but here's something that I think makes a big difference, and very few golfers do:

Keep your thumbs tight to your hands- no gap or space between index fingers and thumbs.
You can practice this by squeezing a tee or penny there.

I think it was in Elkington's book (which I recommend) that he said he acted as if his thumbs were "superglued" to the side of his hand.

When you are comfortable with this, I think you'll see consistently more solid shots.

[/ QUOTE ]
Beautiful. Two rounds ago I moved my right thumb from the center of the shaft to right against my index finger, and it helped my driver accuracy instantly.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 PM

The most significant realization I've had as a golfer has been learning that I need to keep my left arm straight on the backswing. It keeps the swing tight and compact, and prevents over-swinging. For years my swing was too long and I was plagued with inconsistency. A straight left arm has produced better contact and more consistent results.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:21 PM

I recently had the same grip epiphany that you guys are talking about..weakening the right hand and squeezing that thumb into the forefinger. It is doing amazing things for my ability to get the club started on the right plane, and thus is dramatically improving consistency.

I reccomend Ben Hogan's Five Fundamentals. I have been playing golf for 10 years and his is the first explanation of how to grip the club that has really made sense to me. That is probably more of a testament to my thick-headnedness...but it doesn't change the fact that Hogan does a great job of breaking down all the important pieces.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:20 AM

I second hogans book.

jc
Old 04-26-2007, 01:01 PM

Yes, I just got Hogan's book but only have read the section on golf grip. It made me realize my left hand grip was weak, resulting in a lot of slices. I corrected it, and I was only able to play six holes on a crazy-ass windy day, but my shots on the range were going noticeably straighter. Going out Saturday, will let you know how the fix works.

ScottieK
Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Mine too was the 'coil' after reading 'Swing like a Pro'...

They have a nice example of your upper body turning (rotating) away as your lower body starts turning towards the target near the top of the full swing.

Another: Your golf club is always accelerating through the golf ball on every shot. Doesn't matter how short the shot is...