Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: College Coaches in the Hot Seat

Excerpt of omahadomer's post on NDnation regarding Nebraska. I think he's spot on:

[ QUOTE ]
Solich was fired in a 10-3 year after going 58-19 as the Huskers head coach, finishing #2 once and having played in the NC game less than two years before he was axed.

From early on, I thought that Callahan would likely not get Nebraska back to national prominence. To me, he's Bill Diedrick with a slightly better haircut. And he does recruit hard.

To some extent, the jury was out as Nebraska seemed to be gradually improving (5-6, 8-4, 9-5) but this season, playing with highly regarded recruits at almost every position, Nebraska has tanked. The Huskers were expected to make a better showing against USC than they did, but really the game that set everyone on edge was giving up 600 yards and 40 points to Ball State. And as I posted a week or so ago, the Missouri game truly rocked them to their foundations. Losing 41-6 to a team that Nebraska beat every year from 1979-2002 was the death knell. Losing 45-14 to Oklahoma St. just said that the body was cold. Nebraska might not win another game this season. Actually their best shot might be at beating an equally disfunctional program in Texas A&M this week.

Really, the only question to me was whether Pederson would be fired before or after Callahan. We now have our answer: "Before." Now the only question is whether Callahan will be fired before or after the season is over.

Nebraska cut the cord of what made it great for so many years. They had tremendous continuity, a homegrown offense and a lot of homegrown talent who would only play for the Huskers. Once they tried to become like everyone else, they found themselves competing with everyone else for player and coaching talent and it wasn't so easy.

Nebraska needs to hire someone who understands the place and can get it back to playing Nebraska football. That doesn't necessarily mean someone who has been at NU before, but it does mean someone who can embrace it and understand both its limitations and the opportunity.

If you cut the cord, it takes some time to tie it again. N.D. had two "cord cutter" coaches in Davie and Willingham and retying it is not an easy deal. Nebraska is probably in for more of the same.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 AM

I think college football is in line for one of those huge years where a lot of marquee jobs open up. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a few coaching carousels open up, similar to 2003 in college basketball when Roy Williams went to UNC, Bill Self went to KU, and Bruce Webber went to Illinois.

There are already a lot of rumors floating around that Tommy Tuberville is no longer happy at Auburn and may bolt to either Arkansas or Texas A&M if those jobs were to open up. Also, there are the rumors surrounding Les Miles going to Michigan if/when Carr steps down.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 AM

side bar--- Bruce Weber has had a great week at Illinois. He landed 4 recruits in the last weekend...all Illinois guys, 2 chicagoland, 1 public league...all top 100...many flirting with top50 when all is said and done...add in the previous 2010 commit from the best player in IL and things are looking up

it's been an ecstatic week around here, especially with Sampson getting in trouble nice take on this

so
Stan Simpson--2008
DJ Richardson--2009
Brandon Paul--2009
Josh Bertrand--2009
Jereme Richmond--2010

2010 still has alot of spots open and Illinois has good ties/leads on a big amount of home state talent
might still be a scholly for '08 or '09

finally, it seems the coach that has led Illinois to the most NCAA wins of any school over his tenure might have the critics off his back and not fear for his job
Old 10-16-2007, 02:24 AM

Pretty good post by that ND guy. I agree with alot of it. I think BC will probably maintain his job for the rest of the season...his results will determine his job security. Also, yeah, Solich is worlds better than Callahan.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bobby Bowden (FSU): I doubt that they'll out and out fire him, but despite the staff changes this year, FSU looks to be no better than 7-5. They are 4-2 and have very difficult road games against 3 teams in the top 15. That would give them 5 losses and losses to Miami and Maryland are not entirely out the question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bowden (like Paterno) have earned the "right" to coach for as long as they want. They are icons and idols at both university's and neither will ever be fired/forced to resign based on wins and losses.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Slam dunk pick for Nebraska: Paul Johnson from Navy. He's made the Middies a consistent lower tier Bowl winner despite obvious recruiting difficulties inherent to coaching at a Service Academy. His teams are well disciplined and have terrific execution. Oh yeah, and I bet Nebraska fans would love to see the option come back, even though PJ has a diverse enough background not to rely on one offensive system (he was an offensive coordinator some years ago at Hawaii when they were putting up huge numbers).

Side Note: Who here on 2+2 mourns for Frank Solich? I sure do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard Texas A&M and Paul Johnson have some sort of connection
something on one of the rivals or scout premie boards...wish I knew where or what it was...it was significant enough that I have a connection between the two in my head

I've heard some stuff on Nebraska and Turner Gill, but I'm not sure his resume is deep enough yet
Old 10-16-2007, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I heard Texas A&M and Paul Johnson have some sort of connection something on one of the rivals or scout premie boards...wish I knew where or what it was...it was significant enough that I have a connection between the two in my head

[/ QUOTE ]

This better not be true, I love watching Paul Johnson and Navy but can't stand Texas A&M, and I don't want to have to root against the glory of the triple option.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I heard (any BCS school with an opening) and Paul Johnson have some sort of connection

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we've heard the same thing. For every job that's come open in the last 5 years (it seems).
Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM

I have to wonder if Paul Johnson is an awful interview. He's been up for many BCS school jobs over the last few years and always seems to get the silver medal. Then again, I don't know how much an interview should matter when Johnson's results on the teams he's coached should speak for themselves.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Bill Doba should be fired.

However,

He won't be.

WSU basically never fires anybody.

Our best hope is that he retires at the end of the year.