Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 PM

Default Re: Schneids is in \"The Well\"

How important was taking "shots" in your early career?
What advice would you give someone that is a bankroll nit at the 2/4-5/10 level that plays for side-income and just keeps cashing out everything over 1000bb each month?

Also, someone else had mentioned, common mistakes you see in today's mid-limit SH games while making your videos.

I have watched Stox video's , how would you compare your style to Stox?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 PM

To expand both on the questions I asked and Beast's above question, how did you progress through the stakes? Was it a lot of shot taking and rocketing up, was it the ol' "Get 500 BB for the next limit and then move up" slow and steady plan, or did you mix the two? When and why did you choose one path over another?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 PM

What's your favorite strategy post that you've made on 2+2?

What's your favorite strategy post that has been made by someone else?

What's your favorite beer? What's your favorite liquor? Favorite mixed drink?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What limits did you start out at, and how long did it take you to get to where you are now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I started playing pokerroom.com freerolls, and then deposited and played 5 and 10 dollar sngs... Continued with that and moved to paradise and played more sngs... Then onto Party, where I began playing some .5/1 lhe, which I gradually built up into a roll and right around the summer of 2003 I found 2p2 and began reading, and learned some things (such as BR management) and learned there was a helluva I didn't know about the game. Then I started studying it as often as I was playing, and gradually built a roll in $2/4 and 3/6, and slowly built up where I played 10/20 6max for a solid 18 months straight during the heyday of internet poker.

[ QUOTE ]
And when is the Espo HU freezeout happening?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I knew.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 PM

Did you block me on AIM? If so, how come I can't find your screenname even when I look at offline contacts.

Did you send a ninja to my house to delete it?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When you look back at "60k in 60 days", how do you feel about it? What did you learn from it?

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad I did it. It opened up the opportunity of getting to know and interact with a lot of other quality poker players, and I got good feedback from people while keeping myself grounded in reality that poker is in fact a tough game. It also opened my eyes to the negative effects of burnout from poker.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you do besides poker? hobbies, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hang out with friends a lot, drink, the last few months shop a lot for things for my recently bought town home, play sports when I can (used to a lot more often than now -- not as much now because everyone else is much busier so it's tough to get people together for a game...volleyball, basketball, baseball, football, bowling), and listen to a ton of music and collect a lot of dvds (my dvd collection is over 700 so far). In the coming years I also hope to travel and see a lot of the world, and gradually move away from using poker as a primary means of income.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 AM

Who are you afraid of/think is better than you?

What do you think of Pokerbob personally?

Do you think someone who is beating small games(<30-60 live, <5-10 online) is likely to be able to beat the PS 30 or even 100? I know this is worded poorly, but do you think that players who are "decent" can become excellent? It seems like everyone who is playing 50+ online started playing poker like two years ago and those who are playing 5-10 online and beating it have been doing so for 2 years as well.

I don't wanna be just a 20-40 player [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Could you tell us your poker story? How did you get started? When did you start playing online? Did you have to go BUSTO a few times before taking the game seriously, or did you start out as a good student of the game right away? When was the first time you thought you could really go far with poker? Are there any challenges you're still eying as a poker player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got started with friends my senior year of highschool, in 2002. We played dealer's choice, and gradually shifted exclusively to limit hold em by the end of that summer (before we all went away to college). Playing .05/.10 at first, our stakes grew to about .5/1 by the end of summer, and i was the group's biggest winner, around +$350...

I went to school at Iowa State my freshman year, and did not find many people who shared an interest in playing home games... so, I took up online poker slowly -- first playing freerolls, and eventually taking the plunge and depositing a little money online... I broke evenish for a solid stretch of time, but never had to redeposit. Back then, I was afraid to lose money (and even then, I still am today), and so I was pretty good at playing lower if my "bankroll" required it. I have never went busto, and in my "professional career," have never been close to busto.

I think it was the summer of 2003, my first summer back from Iowa State University, when I realized that it was worthwhile to start taking poker seriously... that summer, I was working 40hrs a week doing data entry, and then I'd play poker an hour or two a day and end up earning more than I was earning at my job... This trend continued for a year straight, and by the summer of 2004, I pitched the idea of me not having a job that summer to my parents (and persuaded them that thru writing 60k in 60 days journals, it'd still be something slightly applicable towards my degree in journalism). They weren't too happy with the choice, but lived with it -- and so, the summer of 2003 was the last time I've ever had a real job.

My biggest challenges I'm eyeing are gradually becoming better at mixed games (to the point of being able to sit in and be a favorite in a good 200/400 to 400/800 mixed game), and I'd also like to gradually increase my tournament resume (though I have no desire to ever travel the circuit).
Old 07-31-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey schneids, a few questions

1. do you have any suggestions/recommendations/comments for someone hoping to make the transition from 5/10 shorthanded to the mid stakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be afraid to take a shot playing bigger if you can afford to do so and will recovery mentally if it doesn't go well. Also, as you're playing, don't be afraid of looking silly in a hand. You learn things by trying.

[ QUOTE ]
2. what were some of the common exploitable tendencies that you noticed in smaller stakes TAGs/LAGTAGs when you were making your CR videos?

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt like most players did not do a good job of balancing, and rarely anyone was ever putting me in tough situations. Too often the good players were raising when they had it, and calling when they were peeling...which makes it very easy to fire another barrel... it's alright to often just call with the goods, or raise without the goods.

[ QUOTE ]
2. what kind of notes do you take on players?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't taken notes on players in a few years. My memory on peoples' tendencies is usually pretty solid IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
3. can you post an interesting hand and talk us through your thought process?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... I'll see if i can think of any or I'll try to come up with something in the next few days and post it in SS.
Closed Thread