Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2007, 07:45 PM

Default X-16 Callaways

Just bought a used set of X-16 Steelhead Callaways today from a local pro shop. I took the 5,7,9 and SW to the range and found them to feel 10x better then the craptacular Deltas I have been hitting for too many years. I like them so far but was wondering if anyone on here has experience with them and what they thought of them? I will be using them at two courses in Sioux Falls, Prairie Green and Elmwood so that will be the deciding factor for whether I will keep them or not. They said they would give me a month to figure out if I like them or if I should try a different set. So if they do not work out I might try a set of 04 Big Berthas or maybe get my hands on some Pings.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 AM

Default Re: X-16 Callaways

callaway makes great feeling irons. i personally don't really like pings (except for their putters). If the callaways aren't working out for you i would suggest looking into some hogans. I have always been impressed at how easy they are to hit.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
callaway makes great feeling irons. i personally don't really like pings (except for their putters). If the callaways aren't working out for you i would suggest looking into some hogans. I have always been impressed at how easy they are to hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really, I don't know much about Hogans but I thought they were geared toward low handicap golfers. I might have to look into those if the Callaways don't work out.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:28 AM

overall, yes the hogans are geared toward the lower handicappers. but I believe it is the CFT? or the oversized ones? im not sure exactly, but i hit some of their other non blade-ish irons and really found them way easier to hit than most any other iron except for the callaways.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 AM

I have X-16 Steelhead Callaways myself. Though, as a complete beginner I'm afraid there isn't too much I can help you with. I really like the feel and look of the clubs, and I can hit them fairly well. But I haven't got much experience with other irons, so that might not mean too much.

I will tell you this though; I did quite a bit of research on the clubs before purchasing them, and the feedback is generally very positive. 'Forgiving' is an often used adjective, which obviously sounded good for me as a beginner.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM

I've been playing the X-16's for the past 5 years three of which were spent on my college's golf team. I was the 8 man on a division II team so nothing to write home about. I think these irons are very forgiving and work for players with anywhere between a 5-15 handicap. Just my opinion, but iron play is all about how you feel with that club in your hand. If you like your equipment and are confident in your ability to hit your irons then you will enjoy your Callaways.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Mizuno makes the best irons available. If you're a mid to high handicapper just go with forged cavity backs. Feel like butter.