Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: \"The Mist\" imo will be awesome

My thought on the end. First time I read the mist I wanted a more definitive ending. Several years later I read it again, and was happy for the ambiguity.

Watching the movie, I thought the "troubled" ending was the same as the novel. Then, I realized Darabont was taking King's ending one step further by making it ambiguous and tragic. Therefore, I was one of the few that in no way expected the final ending, making it very shocking and emotional.

Aside from the acting being a little sub par, I thought it was very entertaining. Rarely do I have a problem with contrived scenes, but I agree with CDS in that the ending would have been more effective (for the rest of the audience) if it didnt seem forced. Jane's character was such a survivor that if the plan was to keep driving until they got outta the mist why couldnt they just keep swapping cars on the highway when thewy were low on gas? ldo
Old 11-22-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thought on the end. First time I read the mist I wanted a more definitive ending. Several years later I read it again, and was happy for the ambiguity.

Watching the movie, I thought the "troubled" ending was the same as the novel. Then, I realized Darabont was taking King's ending one step further by making it ambiguous and tragic. Therefore, I was one of the few that in no way expected the final ending, making it very shocking and emotional.

Aside from the acting being a little sub par, I thought it was very entertaining. Rarely do I have a problem with contrived scenes, but I agree with CDS in that the ending would have been more effective (for the rest of the audience) if it didnt seem forced. Jane's character was such a survivor that if the plan was to keep driving until they got outta the mist why couldnt they just keep swapping cars on the highway when thewy were low on gas? ldo

[/ QUOTE ]

The ending def felt like it was tacked on or a reshoot. It didn't fit Jane's character well and some of the stuff didn't seem to make sense. But I also didnt like it cuz it rehashed the earlier theme of trying to explain everything to the audience and tie up all loose ends leaving nothing unexplained.

The wife, the girl who leaves the market at the beginning, how the mist happened, does the mist end, is the human race screwed, what happens to the main characters, etc etc etc.
If it wasn't such a dark ending I woulda assume Steven spielberg came up with it.
Old 11-22-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it wasn't such a dark ending I woulda assume Steven spielberg came up with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tell me ... Was I a good zombie?"
Old 11-24-2007, 12:06 AM

I guess King liked the movie ending because he could not come up with a downbeat ending when he wrote the novella. In fact, the ending of the novella could be said to be hopeful.

I am on the fence as to whether I will see this film or not. <font color="white"> </font> <font color="white"> </font>
Old 11-24-2007, 02:02 AM

I though the original ending was a very dark ending)...where as this ending was just so over the top and silly that its kind of a joke.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:10 PM

Awww [censored].... CDS was right. The ending is atrocious.

SPOILERS!!!!

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie until the last 10 minutes. Initially I was a little worried because when we first see the tentacles slither under the garage door the CGI wasn't blending well with the live action. I was relieved when this improved in later scenes.

Some have complained that the acting wasn't very good but I didn't have a problem with it. Thomas Jane isn't Russell Crowe but he gets the job done... mostly.

There is a clear point when this movie should have ended but it didn't and everything that comes before it is tainted because of this fact. I would have been fine with ambiguity but this new ending feels like a different movie. David Drayton is a take action kind of guy so that he does what he does after he inexplicably lets his vehicle run out of gas seems impossible to me. Drayton is to me the kind of guy who would rather risk his life siphoning gas or jumping from vehicle to vehicle before allowing it to come to this.

There were two points in the movie where a strong reaction was elicited from the crowd. First - there was wild cheering when Mrs. Carmody takes one between the eyes (which was kind of cool since that type of audience reaction is rare in our theatres). Second - it was hard to gauge the reaction after Drayton fires the pistol four times. The theatre was silent so I couldn't tell if people were shocked or just wondering wtf? But when the tank emerged from the mist it was all groans and snickering. I mentioned that I thought Jane's acting was fine for most of this movie but now was the exception. When he started wailing the groans and snickering were replaced with laughter.

It's bad, folks. It's Tom Cruise's son turning up safe in Boston bad.