Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Official WGA Writers Strike thread.

CDS,

When people say things like, "rofl, anyone can write an episode of 'According to Jim,'" what do you think?
Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

When people say things like, "rofl, anyone can write an episode of 'According to Jim,'" what do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally think: 'According to Jim' isn't where most networks are making their money. I also think: Not many people are going to go watch 'According to Jim' episodes on the internet. I watch The Office online more often then I watch it on TV. There are commercials and everything. How can networks honestly say there's a difference.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

[/ QUOTE ]

They're either idiots, snobs, or incredibly naive.

Even cheesy sitcoms aren't easy to write. There is a reason staff writers make 150-300K a year.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

[/ QUOTE ]

Even cheesy sitcoms aren't easy to write. There is a reason staff writers make 150-300K a year.

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with your conclusion I am wondering if you have some type of background in this area that would lend yourself to being a credible expert. Or is this all based upon your own logical conclusions?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And a response may be that they are over paid and part of closed circuit of people that can be chosen and need to be in Los Angeles.

There are absolutely brilliant writers in Los Angeles. And they are definitely briliant writers in the rest of the world who will never break in because they don't want to move to Los Angeles, get an agent, and go through the process.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CDS,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
While I agree with your conclusion I am wondering if you have some type of background in this area that would lend yourself to being a credible expert. Or is this all based upon your own logical conclusions?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my day job I'm a dev assistant/story editor for a movie producer/head of production company.

And no there is not a huge untapped secret stash off screenwriters/screenplays that are over looked by Hollywood.
The majority either suck or are they aren't commercial.

For TV I'm sure there are plenty of people who write novels, plays,etc that could learn to write for TV and make a good living. But there is also a lot more to getting a job as a TV scribe than simply being a good writer.

but your average joe blo or supposed aspiring screenwriter sending out query letters has no clue and would stand little chance of ever hacking it.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There are absolutely brilliant writers in Los Angeles. And they are definitely briliant writers in the rest of the world who will never break in because they don't want to move to Los Angeles, get an agent, and go through the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how this is a valid indictment of the system...I think another term for these potentially brilliant sitcom writers who "don't want to move to Los Angeles..." might be "lazy" or "deluded."
Old 11-12-2007, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For TV I'm sure there are plenty of people who write novels, plays,etc that could learn to write for TV and make a good living. But there is also a lot more to getting a job as a TV scribe than simply being a good writer.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? What skills are necessary to write other than being a good writer?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:49 AM

Or they simply prefer to do something else.

Im sure there are lots of amazing novelists who will never break in because they don't want to go through the hassle of writing a novel.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even cheesy sitcoms aren't easy to write.

[/ QUOTE ]
this I agree with.
[ QUOTE ]
But there is also a lot more to getting a job as a TV scribe than simply being a good writer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This couldn't be more wrong.
I'll concede that there's a craft to writing for television, and honing that skill is difficult, requires a lot of work, and is something most people, or writers outside the system, don't have or even understand.

But that doesn't mean tv writers are good writers, most aren't. The writing on most tv shows, the vast majority in fact, is unoriginal, cliche, boring, repetitive, stupid, unfunny, superficial and facile; the people who write it are not good writers.

Again, they may have a particular skill for their field and have jobs which are not easy, but that doesn't make them good writers, not even close.