Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 09:30 AM

Default someone shoot me please

I'm boarderline suicidal this morning after losing 7 tourns on some sick, sick stuff.

I'm no pro - in fact, I'm far from even making the kind of money that should justify me taking myself so seriously - but think I have a solid grasp on odds and a sharp ability to read play. So why the hell do i feel like im trapped in a parallel universe in which stupidity is rewarded and thinking is punished?

After picking up $1500 on Friday (the biggest cash I've had in loooong time), I drop it all and lose it thus:

(Ok, sure $1500 isnt enought to get worked up about, but this is more about the feeling that someone at HQ flipped the doomswitch on me.)

1. $200 Main Event Qualifier. (Yes, I may be slightly deluded.) About 20 hands in I find KK in LP. UTG raises to 4 x BB, it's folded around to me, I make it 10 x to go, he min raises, after which I shove all in. He flips over tens, one of which hits. (We're doublestacked here - how the F does he call off on Ts??? Wasn't the min-raise supposed to be a probe???)

2. $200 Sunday 400K Pipedream. About 25 hands in I flop mid-set w about 300 in the pot and 2 spades on the board. I check to villian cuz i know he'll bet, he bets pot, i make it 1200, he insta-pushes all in, I call, and it's pizza and hookers when a third spade falls, making his rag A look really pretty.

3. $100 MTT. About 30 hands in I'm dealt AA on the button. Seat 2 makes it 4 x BB, three callers behind. Paranoid at this point, I'd rather just scoop the blinds, so I push all in. Cpt. Donktastic in seat 2 enters the thinktank, lets his time run almost out until he calls w KQ suited. Sure enough, the turn and river make it a big 'ol laughfest for anyone holding suited cards.

4. My favorite, though, is the $20 rebuy I tried to get realistic with. 5 times before the add-on period I'm dealt aces - all five times they get cracked. Three times are all in PF pushes. The other two are UTG or EP limps that result in a post-flop stack off that sees us all in before the river bringing a second pair for Mr. Happy. After the add-on, I flop bottom-set (33) two-handed on a 10 7 3 rainbow board. It's checked to me, I check to LP, an agressive sort, who predictably bets. Pot size bet tells me he hit the 10. I "think about it", then call. Turns brings another 10. Despite having the house, I know he isn't getting away, so I bet. Sure enough, he re-pops, I push all in, he calls (JT), but the party's over when the river brings another 7, adding a nice brick finish my house.

5-7. Are SNGs that see me fold 20 hands, push all in with big pairs or AK and get called by guys sitting at about 2300-2800 in chips that hit their trash (rag suited As that spike or flush, & low underpair that catches). (The point being why are these gambling when they're sitting comfortably?)

Variance happens, yes. We all run cold. But I swear my 80% favs are losing 80% of the time. Every major tounry it's the same kind of mindless stuff that sees me regretting ever starting to play this game. When will doing the right thing actually work in the long run? In home games, I'm the guy people feel good about beating. (I say that in all humility). But online, I rarely catch a break and, even worse, seem to play fortune's fool over and over and over again. What the hell is going on? I normally try to take thinks in stride, but, jesus this is rediculous.

Do I need a therapist, a coach, or a gun?
Old 04-30-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: someone shoot me please

with all the effort u put into this post u could have won a donkament by now
Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 AM

Looks like you blew your small bankroll. Learn better bankroll management.

p.s. $1,500 is nothing. Its 3 paychecks at McDonalds. Get a job!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Location: Phase 1: collect underpants Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit

i vote gun
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2. $200 Sunday 400K Pipedream. About 25 hands in I flop mid-set w about 300 in the pot and 2 spades on the board. I check to villian cuz i know he'll bet, he bets pot, i make it 1200, he insta-pushes all in, I call, and it's pizza and hookers when a third spade falls , making his rag A look really pretty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wont lie...that might b the greatest phrase ive ever heard. i might borrow that...

ps, i feel ya. just work thru it...it has to stop eventually right? its not rigged right?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
with all the effort u put into this post u could have won a donkament by now

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I was trying to communicate that that's kinda the point.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you blew your small bankroll. Learn better bankroll management.

p.s. $1,500 is nothing. Its 3 paychecks at McDonalds. Get a job!

[/ QUOTE ]

Point taken. You're right: may have been cool to play something bigger, failing which I should've regrouped and dropped down, satisfied with a little profit - finally.

Like I said, $1500 is nothing to get that worked up about. Not to be a douche, but I make 6 figures, so the money is a non-issue. The point is that I feel like I'm going insane in bizarro world. How can I take so many beats so regularly?
Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Play cash games. It will desensitize you from all the bad beats you will take. Seriously...
Old 04-30-2007, 10:57 AM

donkaments make another life miserable