Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: God helped Jerry Yang win WSOP!

[Actually this may be good for the state of poker in the U.S.]

But I don't know, I was always thinking nothing has convinced me more to be an atheist than poker. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Test:
Everyone pray to a different God this week and post your stats. If you don't believe in one, pray to support.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Actually this may be good for the state of poker in the U.S.]

But I don't know, I was always thinking nothing has convinced me more to be an atheist than poker. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Test:
Everyone pray to a different God this week and post your stats. If you don't believe in one, pray to support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I just pray for excruciating pain and death to be visited upon my opponents? I mean, I'm going to anyway, just wondering if I should bother taking notes.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:16 AM

In the World Series of Poker, there is a ladies-only event, and a seniors event. Next year they should have a fundamentalist Christian-only event. Then they can all pray to God and whoever wins is judged the most blessed. Then 10% of all the prizes are given to charity, and the rest is donated to the Republican party.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:46 AM

God works in mysterious ways. Perhaps he felt guilty of Asia's current conditions, what with tsunamis, poverty and like an entire century of horrible regimes, and now Jerry Yang's money will start an avalanche creating a much greater Asia.

I'm not sure I would want a fundamentalist only event. If there could be a religious-only event, and like there could be pray-offs similar to Watkinson's nutcase of a fiancé and Yang's choir of Hallelujas, but with, I don't know, voodoo priests vs. esoteric hitlerists... that'd be quality TV.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the World Series of Poker, there is a ladies-only event, and a seniors event. Next year they should have a fundamentalist Christian-only event. Then they can all pray to God and whoever wins is judged the most blessed. Then 10% of all the prizes are given to charity, and the rest is donated to the Republican party.

[/ QUOTE ]

its already set up, next years fundamentalist christian only event is the presidential election, ldo
Old 10-15-2007, 09:59 AM

It's a good thing for Jerry that no one else thought to ask God for help at the WSOP.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:21 AM

I'm sure they did, God just boomswitched Jerry, because he was the only one with the balls to be loud and obnoxious about it. Who's ever more in everyone else's face with their praying is going to get more God-riggedness, obviously. It's a bit like a sponsorship deal.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Below is a quote from a post in this forum from January 2006:

Re: God keeps His promises [Re: miketurner]
#4455160 - 01/15/06 08:33 PM

I for one hope that the next WSOP main event winner is a devout christian who can't play for [censored], but gets lucky a bunch of times and then thanks God when his one outer wins him first place. That would be hilarious.

I think he was trying to make a joke & Jamie Gold did win that year but how eerily accurate is this? Maybe God was trying to tell us something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe Yang's win wasn't about Yang...God does like to display his power through the weak and the humble...Maybe God was just trying to let people know about the power of prayer...Yang just happened to be the man that could humble himself publicly so he was the recipient of the Lord's bounty via the WSOP winnings...hmmmm..very interesting idea...
Old 10-15-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God does like to display his power through the weak and the humble...Maybe God was just trying to let people know about the power of prayer...Yang just happened to be the man that could humble himself publicly so he was the recipient of the Lord's bounty via the WSOP winnings...hmmmm..very interesting idea...

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL @ calling someone who asks Jesus to help him win a poker tournament humble. Somehow I doubt yelling "show me your miracles Lord" into an ESPN TV camera would be considered an act of humility.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Well Yang is a psychologist...If any person would know that the ego and inherent personality flaws can keep you from getting to an understanding of God...it would most probably be him...