Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: ***Official 2007-2008 MLB Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
votto might not even be there this year lollerskates

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there talk of trading him? I know Dusty loves to play vets while quality kids rot in the minors or on the bench, but c'mon. Even Baker has to be able to figure out this kid can and should be playing.

Then again, I can see Dusty giving someone like Conine 500 at bats. So glad the Cubs fired him.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I believe what Vyse is tired of saying is that Dunn is a terrible defensive OF. While he generates lots of runs with his walks and HR, he costs the Reds runs with his D. Is that about right Vyse?

[/ QUOTE ]
Even with those adjustments, and they are huge, he's terrible on defense, he's still the second most valuable player on the Reds and a top 5 overall LF in the majors. Maybe I'm wrong and he's just as terrible at 1B, but I think he'd be more valuable there.

EDIT: He's the 3rd most valuable Red, 2nd if were only talking position players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Top 5 LF? LF's I would rather have than Adam Dunn:

Manny Ramirez
Hideki Matsui
Carl Crawford
Alfonso Soriano
Carlos Lee
Matt Holliday

No way he's moving to 1B, Votto is going to be there for the next 6 years. That he's the 2nd most valuable Red's everyday player says a lot about the Reds; Good luck, Dusty-still hoping you DIAGF.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't agree with Matsui or Crawford, though it's close and good arguments can be made. Of course Manny even though he sucks at LF even more than Dunn. But Carlos Lee, are you kidding me? He's a worse hitter and every bit as bad defensively.

Quite frankly, being the Reds, I'm surprised they have anyone more valuable than Dunn. I'm open to reasons trading Dunn maybe being a good move, but Vyse's reason is not it.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there talk of trading him? I know Dusty loves to play vets while quality kids rot in the minors or on the bench, but c'mon. Even Baker has to be able to figure out this kid can and should be playing.

Then again, I can see Dusty giving someone like Conine 500 at bats. So glad the Cubs fired him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Traded Conine to the Mets at the deadline last year, but they did just pick up Hatteberg's option for this year. I hope to god it was for trade bait, because I can see Dusty giving him Votto's at bats.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

TWO WORDS (free way, mos def, hot [censored]): scott hatteberg. hatte + dusty = sucks for votto.

unless you have faith hatteberg is traded. and faith + reds should not be in the same sentence.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unless you have faith hatteberg is traded. and faith + reds should not be in the same sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that I agree with.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem is, I don't see the Red Sox dropping 6/150 on Johan...

[/ QUOTE ]

I keep reading that Santana is looking for "Barry Zito money" which is $18M/year.

Given the apparent lack of market for ARod, I don't think Santana can command $25M/year.

In 2007, the highest paid pitcher was Bartolo Colon and Andy Pettitte. at $16M.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...aspx?year=2007

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...seball_players
Old 11-27-2007, 07:56 PM

I don't see the Red Sox giving six years to any pitcher. I don't think they'd shy away from $20m per, but I suspect their front office knows better than to give any pitcher six years.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:21 PM

$20m yr for 6 years of Santana would be a very fair deal, dunno what you're talking about
Old 11-27-2007, 08:35 PM

I must have had something funny for lunch, because I find myself agreeing with Vyse a lot today. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This isn't just any pitcher; it's Johan Santana. He'll be 29 next year, so he'd only be 35 at the end of a six year deal. He may lose a little towards the end of the deal, but at 35 he'd still have plenty left in the tank. Factor in what the market for a pitcher of his skill will be six years, and I think 6 years/120 million sounds like a pretty good deal.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course Manny even though he sucks at LF even more than Dunn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Manny's days of being a better LF option than Dunn have passed. It's that old guy vs guy in his prime thing.