Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-26-2007, 06:33 PM

Default Re: i cry a massive amount. should i seek professional help?

[ QUOTE ]
crying hardly makes you less of a man, but given some of the reasons the dude posted, the crying is probably symptomatic of something else. even if he is particularly sensitive crying while watching elf/reading harry potter seems a bit off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of you might be missing the part where his [censored] wife dumped him. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
crying hardly makes you less of a man, but given some of the reasons the dude posted, the crying is probably symptomatic of something else. even if he is particularly sensitive crying while watching elf/reading harry potter seems a bit off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of you might be missing the part where his [censored] wife dumped him. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair, he claims this isn't part of the issue, even though he's probably wrong.

Trying to explain emotions is a really pointless exercise.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 PM

Unless his wife left him prior to his last high-school wrestling match, it's unlikely to be the sole source of his problem, though it probably exacerbated it somewhat.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM

I consider myself a "manly" man" and I've had a few of these instances. When I brought them up with a friend (going to school for shrink previously nurse) she said that something to consider is that if it only happens when you're alone then it's usually overcompensation for not showing emotions around other people.

So that's something to consider.

All the same, the dude should abide.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Some of you might be missing the part where his [censored] wife dumped him.[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
To be fair, he claims this isn't part of the issue, even though he's probably wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
This goes back to before her and I were even together. On the original list, #s 2, 3, and 4 were before we split up, as was The Butterfly Effect bawling.

I'm virtually 100% sure that #s 1 and 5, would have caused me to cry anyway. #6 is a bit different, but not for any of the reasons you guys might think. And no, I'm not going to talk about it on an Internet forum.

Also, even though she left me, and that was hard, it's pretty clear at this point that my life is/will be better. The primary reason we split up was over my change in religion, and at this point it seems pretty outrageous to think that either of us would have been truly happy staying with the other.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM

Between losing your woman and your major belief system, I think you're more than a little entitled to be on edge. I also think that you should be glad that your able to express yourself that way as opposed to bouts of anger (unless you're wailing away like Meg Ryan in every movie she's ever been in-that's not good for anyone).

If you aren't stable, you may want to consider seeing a therapist who could help you achieve some balance. If you are stable, I don't think you need to sweat it too much and you will probably get stronger as you gain time and perspective on your recent major stress events.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:13 PM

Cardo,

When I first read the title of the thread I thought, "Man, The Dude is having it rough b/c of the wife," but then he goes way back to cite examples.

I said before, I would cry if my wife left me--that [censored] would suck and it wouldn't be healthy to bottle up everything that I was feeling and there would be a time briefly after that I would find myself emotional about weird stuff but I would get over it real quick, nobody wants to be around a crybaby or a moper.

The Dude- Are you doing anything right now to improve your current situation--meeting women, being social? Maybe some of the emotional excess is due to being stuck. I don't know you, just some thoughts.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not missing it, that's why i said some of the reasons. if you're saying that his wife is really the issue here then you may be onto something, but only he knows that. i only skimmed the thread so if he explicitly stated that she was then i missed it, but if that's the case than the crying about movies and books is essentially moot right?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:19 PM

Eh, if you think you have issues, and/or it does bother you, go talk to someone for an hour or 2.

Couldn't hurt.

Besides, it's always fun to learn about yourself.

b
Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cardo,

When I first read the title of the thread I thought, "Man, The Dude is having it rough b/c of the wife," but then he goes way back to cite examples.

I said before, I would cry if my wife left me--that [censored] would suck and it wouldn't be healthy to bottle up everything that I was feeling and there would be a time briefly after that I would find myself emotional about weird stuff but I would get over it real quick, nobody wants to be around a crybaby or a moper.

The Dude- Are you doing anything right now to improve your current situation--meeting women, being social? Maybe some of the emotional excess is due to being stuck. I don't know you, just some thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

tdark-

i have been giving him some life coaching and he appears to be responding fairly well to it.