Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 08:17 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical bet on the golf course involving throwing a football...

In his day my uncle could throw a football 80 yards in the air. He won many bets on this prop.

He would stand in the end zone of a touch football field and with the wind could have the ball land in the other end zone.

On a side note: I once hit into a pond on a par-3 and was so pissed instead of teeing a second ball I threw it onto the green. My arm/shoulder hurt for a week!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical bet on the golf course involving throwing a football.

[ QUOTE ]

He would stand in the end zone of a touch football field and with the wind could have the ball land in the other end zone.

[/ QUOTE ]

you do realize this is 100 yards??
Old 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You do realize that a flag football field is only 80 yards long?

BO
Old 11-12-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: Hypothetical bet on the golf course involving throwing a football...

I took a prop bet once w/ a friend on a short par 3...like 90 yds or something. I couldn't use clubs and he gave me 3 "strokes" on the hole.

I won, but only because he plunked it into the lake. When I threw it from the teebox, I was looking to where I thought it was going to land somewhere short of the green. I was shocked when it landed like 40 yards from the tee box.
perception is weird in golf vs. football fields.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 PM

Perception is very different because the sizes are so much longer. The longest baseball I've ever hit (and I've bombed a few) probably goes as far as an average pitching wedge (142/425, sounds about right). A distance of 120 yards or so seems so insignificant on a golf course, however there's no one that can throw a ball that far. (unless it's John Elway with a Vortex, but that's another story)
Old 11-14-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

80 yards is still a stretch
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The best part of it is my uncle played wide receiver on this team. Why? He had a strong arm, accuracy and QB brains not so much.

So they would run a double pass, and liked to run it from inside their own 10 yard line. I saw them do this at the national championships in the late '70s. So the defensive back covering the receiver stops at about the 20 yard line and here comes the bomb! Cool stuff especially when you are about 10 years old.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BO

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is, but that wasn't the issue. You were being a smartass by saying the field was 100 yards long when in fact you didn't know that a flag football field is not 100 yards long, but 80. I simply replied in kind. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

BO
Old 11-15-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a minor departure, but does anyone ever translate feet to yards when they see them on street or highway signs and think that the number is off? E.g. there is a freeway sign here in town that says "Cactus Rd., 1500 feet". It's kinda weird because on the whole length of the freeway there isn't another sign that isn't in miles. It's like they felt like being super accurate because if they put "1/4 mile" or whatever and it was just a little bit off people would get in accidents or something.

Anyway...1500 feet = 500 yards. I find myself looking at that sign every time and thinking there's no damned way that's a par-5 in distance. More like a reachable par-4. Either signs like this are off a lot of the time, or I'm not scaling distances properly when I'm looking at them.

Weird rant, sorry. Carry on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this all the time. In my line of work, there's always one reason or another to estimate distances of 50 to a few hundred yards. I usually decide what club I'd need to get there, or if I could hit driver that far and then translate that into a yardage guess.

I'm usually within 20-30 yards from 200 to 300 yards.

From 100 yards and in I'm pretty pissed when I'm off by 10 yards.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 AM

Me and a couple friends were debating about how far we could throw a golf ball from the tee on a 120ish par 3. One of my friends was certain he could nail the green, and I argued none of us would even reach the "fairway". We all chucked a ball as hard as we could, and they ended up somewhere in between. More importantly, we all complained of aching shoulders for the rest of the hole.

It's not good to throw light objects as hard as you can, for obvious reasons. :-/

But anyways, golf courses can be somewhat deceptive because you're used to bombing the ball in comparision to other sports. Stand at home-plate in a major league baseball field, and try taking a few swings with a bat/baseball to hit a home run. After watching the ball roll to halfway down the outfield, I bet that fence will look pretty far. Now pull out your 8-iron and put a ball down... I bet the fence still looks a ways off. Guarentee you'll surprise yourself when you lob it easily into the upper deck.

Also with the football example, there's a big difference between hitting the green and making to the pin. So 60 out might not look as far because the front of the green is prob only like 45-48 out. And the pin and green can kinda seem like the same thing.