Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Mundane Stud Hi Hand

haven't seen a stud hi hand in a while and am bored (but not bored enough to read through pages of draft treasury regs [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

I raised 3rd trying to knock out the overcards. With the cards left to act and my kicker, I probably could have just folded?

Any thoughts on 5th? Raise? Fold? I figured there was a good chance he caught the straight as betting out was odd unless he hit something good. OTOH, a lot of his straight outs are dead and a 7 is out for his trips. I have no reads during the hand on the 5th street bettor, though I did check him out after the hand (the stats will skew any responses I feel)...

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.40, Bring-In $0.50 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

4th Street - (11.60 SB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls

5th Street - (10.80 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

6th Street - (13.80 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River - (16.80 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___checks___
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks___

Total pot: (18.80 BB - $75.20)
Old 11-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Mundane Stud Hi Hand

I prefer a raise on 3rd street even with the overcards behind you, because, if you just call and they call, too, then you have a harder time knowing what they actually have, plus, you give them a chance to hit one of their overcards, and imo, I'd much rather invest one more small bet to try and knock those hands out because your hand will play better against one opponent, and obviously so if the opponent has a smaller pair (like TT).

If you reraise on 3rd and either one of the overcards does call/raise, well, then unless they're being overly aggressive or something, I think you'll be able to play your hand much more correctly afterwards.

Raise 5th, protect your hand from the possible drawers. If it's not the best hand, I think you'll get a better idea of that by raising.

If the Ace happens to have split Aces, and he decided to slowplay it the whole time, well now if you raise and he doesn't have 2 pair, maybe he'll fold. The pot is big enough to where this would really be my primary objective now.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:23 PM

i vote raise 5th. pot is big enough that we must get rid of as many people as possible.

other than that i think you played this hand well.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM

Raise Third every time. Besides getting heads-up against a pair of Tens (which would be nice) you are trying to charge draws the maximum and force the Ace to tell you if he has a pair or not. Looks like not.

Raise Five. Most of Seat 7's straights are blocked and weaker straight draws should not hang around for two bets cold (and the possibility of a re-raise). You still want to be heads-up if possible.

I like the bets on the last two cards. You'd rather not miss a bet ever, but especially not when you're getting 2:1.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:19 AM

I like the raise on third. Both Rush and electrical make good points. I also like the raise on fourth. Raising fifth is mandatory, I think. The pot is plenty big enough that you're looking for as many folders as possible. Definitely bet sixth, and I like the value-bet on the end.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 AM

I think I'd rather have one opponent than two when I'm value-betting Jacks-up on the end. Having two opponents makes it significantly more likely that we're beaten. You wouldn't bet Jacks-up into six people because you were excited about collecting 6:1, right?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:50 AM

I like it. The only thing I would do different is maybe slow down on the river. Like Andy said, with 2 opponents I wouldn't feel too good about my hand. But if your gut tells you that they are weak & you'll get paid off...go for it.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM

I was slightly confused on 5th. I raised a completion on 3rd, then faced the field with a raise on 4th and everyone came along. Now the guy who checked 4th/called 2 bets cold bets out on 5th? It seemed to me at the time that he may have hit something good.

Does anyone's answer to 5th or the river change after i tell you that seat 7 had a 17% VPIP (after about 300 hands)? To me, it makes the hand even more confusing (except that I know the results).
Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 PM

I would guess he either made Ts up or he has a pair bigger than Js in the hole.

[ QUOTE ]
I was slightly confused on 5th. I raised a completion on 3rd, then faced the field with a raise on 4th and everyone came along. Now the guy who checked 4th/called 2 bets cold bets out on 5th? It seemed to me at the time that he may have hit something good.

Does anyone's answer to 5th or the river change after i tell you that seat 7 had a 17% VPIP (after about 300 hands)? To me, it makes the hand even more confusing (except that I know the results).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd rather have one opponent than two when I'm value-betting Jacks-up on the end. Having two opponents makes it significantly more likely that we're beaten. You wouldn't bet Jacks-up into six people because you were excited about collecting 6:1, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed, but with the board in this hand, bigger two pairs are unlikely. We are either beaten by freak trips or we're good. If somebody has a straight, I'd expect him to bet it.