Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-09-2007, 01:48 PM

Default borg 20/40

not sure if this is right place for this. if nec move to B+M.

i wanted to ask the 20/40 regs in this forum - what is the borg 20/40 like on weekends? is it at all similar to the 10/20?

it is likely that i'll be moving up to this game by the beginning of next year.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: borg 20/40

I have never played in that game but I really doubt that it matters. The difference in game quality between 10/20 and 20/40 is rarely dramatic and you are almost certainly a significant favorite. Just jump in there and take a shot. Do it soon. If you are underrolled take a 50 bet shot. You will probably be amazed that as you move up the players are still very bad but usually just a little more aggro. Play well.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:49 PM

I dunno, I've noticed a change in skill as I've progressed from 2/4 up to 20/40+.

3/6 people can actually read the board and realize there's a 4-flush out there. They still couldn't figure out there was a 5-way chopped pot on an AKQJT board though and mucked, even though they called the river bet.

6/12 people stopped cold-calling my raises with T7o and occasionally folded their second pairs on the turn.

8/16 people knew what a raise in position for a free card was. They still liked to cold-call raises with A3s though.

20/40 people could do some modicum of hand-reading and could 3-bet preflop with TT/99.

40/80 people stopped cold-calling my raises with KJo.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:30 PM

I find it different -- 2-4 players to the flop rather then 7-8. Almost no unraised pots rather than almost no raised pots. The skill level, though, is not that different. Rather, the game is played differently. Most 10-20 people are there to gamble and have fun. Most 20-40 people are there to win money. So, they are playing better or trying to, to the best of their abilities. The game is beatable but you have to play tighter and more aggressive than in a regular 10-20 Borg game. However, at night (1am +) it usually becomes very like 10-20 only at twice the stakes. Definitely take a shot. You can play both games for a while and them move up when you are completely comfortable.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:13 PM

Strengthen your hand/board/range reading abilities.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM

I don't know about the weekend but on weeknights usually the level of play is way tougher than the 10.

That said, it's still not "tough"
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Much different quality of player, you will feel like you moved up. Much more raising and reraising pre flop. 100% continuation bets on the flop from late position players.

You still get a bunch of LAGtards showing up on weekends, except not always. If the LAGtards aren't in, then you are going to be butting heads with a bunch of people that have read all of the two plus two books, and know how to use that info. In that case, I move back down to 10/20, where the majority suck.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM

I think there is a difference.
Are most of the players bad in both games? Yes Sir.

Granted I almost never make it down there these days, but in my glory days of making it down there most weekends, I remember there being maybe a dozen recognizable faces (out of a HUGE pool) at the 10 game that I prefer not sit down because they knew how to play (not experts, but strong players).
At the 20 game there were more people that I simply knew were better than me and took my cheese.
Whenever I take some time off from poker (like now) I always start back down at the 10 game and it seems way easier than the 20 game... it may have to do with a small roll though.
Good Luck at the 20 game... hot streaks there kick a$$
Old 11-09-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does that mean i suck too bad to play 20?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does that mean i suck too bad to play 20?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just mean that the 20 is the first spot where it's worth starting to think about player ranges and will earn/save you BBs in the long run. This obviously happens in lower limits as well, but it's not as useful there where the players are so passive and ranges are so wide.