Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: very tough spot with flopped set

I love the limp PF with 33.
You got lucky and flopped your set but got unlucky because a loose passive villain 3-bangs you on a flush board. If he's really passive (and he seems like it given your history with him) I don't think there's any way he 3bangs this flop with another set or two pair. Live, the passives I play with crap their panties on a flush board unless they've flopped it. Given your read I think he flopped his flush and, with the action in front, he's decided to take the pot right now.
I trust my read here.. call the flop raise and check/fold if you don't turn quads or a boat.. unless you're feeling lucky and want to see the river.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:39 PM

Kit,

Cap here. If he leads again, just call unless you fill up. If he checks, bet the turn. Vomit and call if check-raised on the turn.

In this game, I think we can find a river fold UI if you cap and he continues to fire.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I trust my read here.. call the flop raise and check/fold if you don't turn quads or a boat.. unless you're feeling lucky and want to see the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he showed you a flopped flush, you should certainly see the river. The pot would be laying you around 8:1 to hit around 10 outs. There's no reason to believe the 3rd player has anything better than a K or a big [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

As for the original hand, the horrible 3rd player makes me think we have enough overlay to cap the flop for value, then call a turn bet and fold the river UI if we *really* trust our read.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:50 PM

ok, i'm not sure everyone is getting the action correctly. sorry for not clarifying.

there is a reason this spot is pretty tough.

the person who 3 bet the flop is in late position. what happened was the BB led, I raised, a bad player called, and the late position player 3 bet. the BB then folded and it was on me.

i was faced with a decision of either capping the flop and leading the turn into a potential flush, or calling the flop and checking the turn and possibily giving away a free card. alternatively, i guess i could have called the flop and led a safe turn, but if i chose that route then not capping the flop the 1st time was a mistake.

in position, this hand becomes really easy to play. OOP, much harder.

so, after all that, we still like a flop cap?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Damn, I definitely got that messed up. I would puke if I call here and it gets checked through on the turn. I think I'm still in the cap camp (for value), because even if we're behind, we have a ton of outs to a monster and, to be honest, capping will camoflauge our hand if we hit, because who would cap the flop with *just* a set?

Or am I way off in my thinking?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:58 PM

Problem with that is, we have a confirmed passive 3-banging a flush board with action in front. I choose not to ignore that information. I don't think he cares what we have unless/until the board pairs.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Unless villain is freecarding a draw (which doesn't sound like something he would do), I don't know why you think a brick turn is going to check through.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:41 PM

Who thinks a brick turn is getting checked through?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:22 AM

A couple people earlier in the page. I'm using quick reply, that wasn't directed at you.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:21 AM

I'd cap this flop. Even if he has the flush, we have ten outs to beat it and still two cards to come.