Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 11:06 PM

Default Anyone interested in a Heads-up League? (NLTRN)

I've been kicking around this idea of a heads-up league. The way I envision it; I'd like to get at least 20 people and we'd have a specific night of the week where we meet up at private HU tournments at stars for a minimal buy-in... I would divide the participants of the league into divisions and generate an 8 week schedule where you play a 3 game series against a different opponent each week.... at the end of the 8 weeks, a certain number of players would qualify for a league championship tournament...

This seems like it would be a fun way to find out who the best players are in the forum, and sharpen our skills, I've been the commissioner of a fantasy football league for 6 years, so I envision running this league in a similar fasion, we'd have a website dedicated to the league where we could see results, hand histories, and talk smack in a league forum....

Would anybody be interested in anything like this? Let me know... if there's enough interest I may just get the ball rolling.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Default Re: Anyone interested in a Heads-up League? (NLTRN)

I'd play.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been kicking around this idea of a heads-up league. The way I envision it; I'd like to get at least 20 people and we'd have a specific night of the week where we meet up at private HU tournments at stars for a minimal buy-in... I would divide the participants of the league into divisions and generate an 8 week schedule where you play a 3 game series against a different opponent each week.... at the end of the 8 weeks, a certain number of players would qualify for a league championship tournament...

This seems like it would be a fun way to find out who the best players are in the forum, and sharpen our skills, I've been the commissioner of a fantasy football league for 6 years, so I envision running this league in a similar fasion, we'd have a website dedicated to the league where we could see results, hand histories, and talk smack in a league forum....

Would anybody be interested in anything like this? Let me know... if there's enough interest I may just get the ball rolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome idea. I'd like to see this happen. Only request from my end would be that "playoff" series are at least 5 games, 7 being even better. Now that I think about it, if you compare HU to pro sports leagues, the win percentage distribution over say 82 or 162 HU matches is probably pretty similar to that of a pro sports league.

Anyone have experience playing a long series of HU matches vs. 1 opponent?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:52 AM

nicho and I played like a series of 35ish once... i had a 70% winrate...

~rob
Old 03-04-2007, 04:01 AM

i'd play too

edit: maybe we should also say that HHs should then be submitted to the forum.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 AM

I would join in, only 'maybe' I see is the time schedule differeces between Europe and U.S., so maybe you should let the players themselves choose the times of play. Evening hours in U.S. is like 3am+ in Europe. Goldmund
Old 03-04-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome idea. I'd like to see this happen. Only request from my end would be that "playoff" series are at least 5 games, 7 being even better. Now that I think about it, if you compare HU to pro sports leagues, the win percentage distribution over say 82 or 162 HU matches is probably pretty similar to that of a pro sports league.

Anyone have experience playing a long series of HU matches vs. 1 opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt people would put that much time into it. I might be interested, depends on number of matches and at what time the matches are being played.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:18 PM

Couldn't we basically just agree to a time within a set amount of days (say between Tuesday and Thursday), giving us the weekend to review HH from the matches and talk about them, then set up our time slots again on Monday and repeat.

There's no reason for this to be complicated, and frede I don't think a lot of time really needs to be put into this to make it fun and educational.

Count me in, let me know if you need any help setting this up. I've run a few fantasy leagues and a few other things in my time.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 AM

i'd be satisfied with a semiregular hu tourney on stars. weekly, biweekly or whatever. if no one else does this i may take it on myself.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:43 AM

I am in. But we need at least 16 better 20 people.