Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2007, 07:56 PM

Default MY NEW COMPUTER SUCKS

Dude, i got a dell! And I regret it! Just now AP and PAHUD froze and needed to be force quit out and there is still a 1/3 of my second monitor that 'freezes' whatever you put there- a window, a picture, etc. I bought this [censored] in dec. I have norton [censored] on it as well as search and destry and ad aware (which remove a few things a week, nothing too major i dont think).

I use some torrent stuff, but everything not movie/music (all other files) i either opt to not download or immediately delate, so they aren't just sitting on my comp.

WTF IS ITS DEAL? I HAVE TO MANUALLY SHUT IT DOWN 4 TIMES A WEEK OR SO.

F U DELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old 02-05-2007, 08:10 PM

Default Re: MY NEW COMPUTER SUCKS

I just restarted it and these are all the processes that are going. what are they? are they necessary? help?

[image][/image]
Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 PM

dude...don't blame Dell completely...I suspect many of your processes (and I also hate Norton). I'm freaking bushed after an 11 hour day in a data center moving 180 lb fiber routers, building racks, etc...on 3 hrs sleep.

Hopefully someone w/ a still fundctional body/brain will chime in w/ more details...I don't have the time/energy right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude...don't blame Dell completely...I suspect many of your processes (and I also hate Norton). I'm freaking bushed after an 11 hour day in a data center moving 180 lb fiber routers, building racks, etc...on 3 hrs sleep.

Hopefully someone w/ a still fundctional body/brain will chime in w/ more details...I don't have the time/energy right now [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

at a friend's suggestion i removed itunes and downloaded winamp. norton is going to go, too, at some point. any other help/ideas later would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:32 PM

If you have the money, go to the store and buy a copy of whatever operating system you are running and do a clean install to get rid of all the crap Dell put on the machine. If you don't, go into add remove programs and uninstall everything you didn't put there.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 PM

Man I'm surprised every time I look at it just how much of a resource hog Norton is. I'd dump it immediately and get AVG. You can also disable startup processes for things like real player, quicktime, and acrobat. They run in the background hogging resources just so the program starts faster when you try to open it. Go to Start > Run > msconfig > startup tab to access it. If you're really ambitious goto Start > Run > services.msc and read the descriptions of/google services set to "automatic" to see if you can downgrade it to "manual" or "disabled" (I'm talking things like spoolsrv.exe that you obviously don't need if you're not running a printer).

Also, get hijackthis and run the log file through here.

You can post the log here too, it helps a bit more than just a list of running processes.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have the money, go to the store and buy a copy of whatever operating system you are running and do a clean install to get rid of all the crap Dell put on the machine.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't need to buy a new copy of Windows to do this, provided Dell sent you a Windows re-installation CD with your computer (they stopped for a while, but have since started to again). This thread has a good tutorial on how. Aside from the backup warnings in the tutorial, you'll want to contact the appropriate people for PokerTracker and let them know what you're doing to get a new key once you re-install.

That thread really should be linked in the FAQ.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread really should be linked in the FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-06-2007, 12:48 AM

I did this after I got my Dell desktop.

Got rid of all the factory installed BS. Worked like a peach.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:41 AM

Download linux.