Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 11-25-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Vegas

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does Vegas' location hamper it's ability to produce top-shelf sushi?

<font color="white">Expecting the answer to be no </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Myth: Sushi is "better" never frozen and therefore better at the coasts.

Truth: Almost ALL sushi consumed anywhere on the world has been frozen for a minimum of 48 hours to kill parasites and disease causing germs. It is a requirement in this country.

Also most catch is "flash frozen" by the fishing boats which are out for days or even weeks at a time.

I've been to the Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo and seen the massive frozen Tuna carcasses being parted out with chain and band saws before heading to the best sushi restaurants on the planet. Pretty cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good to know. That's a bit of a buzz kill.

[/ QUOTE ]

My former company (I just quit!) owns a fish house with a sushi bar. Almost ZERO frozen fish was used. The sushi comes packed on ice daily from the fish market has not been frozen, the fish that comes from overseas is flash frozen with nitrogen or packed in dry ice. Nobu uses many of the same suppliers that we did, I know this because we used a lot of the same staff [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Thats also one of the reasons why Nobu is pricier than most other places, costs for fresh supply are high.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:49 PM

I just googled Lotus of Siam and it looks like I found a place to take my parents when we head to Vegas for Christmas. The reviews are promising and the prices are very reasonable.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just googled Lotus of Siam and it looks like I found a place to take my parents when we head to Vegas for Christmas. The reviews are promising and the prices are very reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

toss - its not a pretty restaurant, in fact its a dive in a shopping mall punctuated by sex clubs (Green Door), a gay and trans-gender center (Sublimes favorite hangout LDO), Korean and Mexican community businesses and restaurants. But the food is as authentic as you will find in Vegas and even better than most of the equivelent South Asian restaurants you will find in major cities such as NY or LA, and the prices are fantastic. Its worth the trip, just don't expect a fine dining experience to go with your amazing food - you can wear a tshirt and flip flops and feel overdressed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

toss - its not a pretty restaurant, in fact its a dive in a shopping mall punctuated by sex clubs (Green Door), a gay and trans-gender center (Sublimes favorite hangout LDO), Korean and Mexican community businesses and restaurants. But the food is as authentic as you will find in Vegas and even better than most of the equivelent South Asian restaurants you will find in major cities such as NY or LA, and the prices are fantastic. Its worth the trip, just don't expect a fine dining experience to go with your amazing food - you can wear a tshirt and flip flops and feel overdressed [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah, thanks for the headsup. I still think I'll go there there as long as people aren't fornicating in public.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Woah, thanks for the headsup. I still think I'll go there there as long as people aren't fornicating in public.

[/ QUOTE ]

its worth the trip if your into food, its one of the best kept secrets in vegas. http://www.saipinchutima.com/
Old 11-25-2007, 04:37 PM

Never made it to Nobu, but Shibuya in MGM was pretty good, at least on the night I was there. Probably helped by the waiter recommending a brand of sake I'd never had before called Dassai Ni-wari San-bun, which was so good that I ended up getting through 3 carafes. If you like unfiltered sake then GET THIS STUFF, it's amazing.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Social House (at TI) is awesome.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:48 PM

Yama Sushi is in the strip mall at the northeast corner of Maryland and Flamingo. It is a delicious all-you-can eat sushi restaurant. They make each roll fresh also, it's not like Todai. I believe it's $22 before 3pm, $25 after.

1350 E Flamingo Rd # 18
Las Vegas, NV 89119
(702) 696-0072
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Okada at the Wynn is the best place I've been to in Vegas.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM

Nobu is very good and very expensive. I spent around ~250 with tip for two people and we only had one drink each. It would definitely be easy to spend much more. It is also loud and crowded so make sure that is what you are in the mood for before going. The one thing that stood out to me was the ceviche.. very very good.