Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2006, 07:23 PM

Default Question for those who play mainly NL SNG\'s

How's it going 2+2ers. I have been wondering a few things specifically. I have searched for them but they did not adress the issue directly. I am not new to the game, I am however new to keeping records, graphs, analysis, studying, etc. I just recently (March 1st, 06) started keeping a record of every single game I played (Have only played about 195 $11 SNG's in a number of sites). My numbers (ROI, ITM) have been good, but I know that they mean absolutely nothing due to the small sample size. My main questions for you guys are:

1)Do many of you make your poker income mainly in NL SNG's?
2) If you do, how long did it take for you guys to start showing favorable results in a consistent manner?
3) What advantages are there in doing this rather than playing cash games?
4) Any general advice you can give to a guy that loves the game and wants to give it his best shot.
Thanks in advance for posting.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Question for those who play mainly NL SNG\'s

1) yes
2) I don't know. With some knowledge of the game coming in, not long.
3) I do better with a begining and an ending.
4) read this board
Old 04-04-2006, 07:31 PM

1) Yes
2)I started out on a heater at the $11s, and I've actually been pretty consistent the whole way; my ROI never dropped below 18% and I've never suffered a downswing bigger than 17 buy-ins.
3)I say less variance, but people here have different definitions of what variance is.
4)Study the forums, Play each hand as if it were posted here, and your results should come.

P.S. Your not going to hear anything from the people who have bad results due to the Irieguy principle.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2)I started out on a heater at the $11s, and I've actually been pretty consistent the whole way; my ROI never dropped below 18% and I've never suffered a downswing bigger than 17 buy-ins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. you ARE on a header. Nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty insane. You must never cash out.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:56 PM

I like your new avatar, makes me laugh.

You're very close to going on my ignore list for this:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:06 PM

The boredom of cashgames makes me GO CRAZY (as will no beer and no TV)

It is as simple as that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:21 PM

1) Yes they are a pretty consistent way to make money if you are willing to put in the time and can multitable well.

2) Poker made up a decent portion of my income before I found SnG's so almost immediately but I would say it took around 1500-2000 tournies before I was comfortable with the basic formula that I still base my SnG play off of today.

3) ATTENTION FACTOR, cash games require much more attention because the optimal play can change drastically based on the players whereas most important SnG decisions are just push/fold.

4) Try to remember that you don't win SnG's by playing what most people would think of as good poker, because of things like payout structure and the huge blinds near the end they play differently than a normal NL MTT.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Uhhh, I guess I lied, it looks like sometime within my first 50 my ROI dropped to about 10%. I was at school and just pulling conservative numbers out of my ass. The 17 BI downswing still stands though.

And just so I don't get put on ignore by everyone, here's my ROI at the $22s before the software upgrade. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2006, 04:23 AM

1)I've been living 90% out of SNGs last 12 month, 10% ourt of other forms of poker
2) I started at microstakes a year before that, so I guess I started outright winning and went up regularly when I was "ready"
3) People here find it more enjoyable/exciting, good return, relativly low fluctuation, and first and foremost different set of skills required (more mathematical and tournament preflop play, less need for playing a deep stack river correctly!)
4) Start where your bannkroll is comfortable, go up when you are ready. Ask questions, review the answers critically. Ho and a heater can help! STORE YOUR RESULTS