Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: High Schooler Dresses up as KKK member for Halloween

[ QUOTE ]
A good example was the Phelps church that had all those ridiculous anti-homosexual picket signs and doing stuff like protesting at the funerals of fallen U.S. soliders, saying that they deserved to die and a whole bunch of insane things. I was extremely offended and shocked after watching this documentary on these people. Do you think it's "stupid" to be offended by that or get upset over it? They didn't use anything but words, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get what's offensive about the fact that stupid people exist. You know these people shouldn't be taken seriously, right? So why do you take the insane things they do and say seriously? All it does is validate their opinions (that is, give them the impression their opinions matter to you).
Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM

Isn't dressing up like scary monsters what Halloween is all about? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A good example was the Phelps church that had all those ridiculous anti-homosexual picket signs and doing stuff like protesting at the funerals of fallen U.S. soliders, saying that they deserved to die and a whole bunch of insane things. I was extremely offended and shocked after watching this documentary on these people. Do you think it's "stupid" to be offended by that or get upset over it? They didn't use anything but words, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't get what's offensive about the fact that stupid people exist. You know these people shouldn't be taken seriously, right? So why do you take the insane things they do and say seriously? All it does is validate their opinions (that is, give them the impression their opinions matter to you).

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of thing is this to say? Nothing offends you or pisses you off? You are human, aren't you? If you are, seek medical attention. I don't think you have any emotions, or the far more likelier case is that you're saying this because it sounds good in your head, but don't follow it yourself. I don't blame you either, it's just not practical.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:22 AM

Yeah my Affirmative Action costume didn't go over well with white people [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2007, 02:52 AM

By sending these kids home and forcing them to apologize you are taking away some of their freedoms. I don't know about the technical aspects of Canadian freedoms, but I think this would clearly fall under the freedom of expression clause in America. Sadly enough I think it would be received the same way. This is not to say that it wouldn't offend me, because it likely would as would a Hitler costume and surely other costumes would too. I'm sure slutty school girls and priests offend plenty of people too, maybe even as many people as this costume does. I don't think that being offensive is enough to warrant this type of reaction or necessitate an apology. Even if these people agree with the KKK's politics they still have the right to express themselves. It should be treated no different than any other costume. Simply being offensive is not reason enough to have this sort of backlash as you could find literally thousands of costumes that outraged someone because it was offensive.
Old 11-04-2007, 03:36 AM

this thread is obviously retarded, and so are you morons that can't see the difference between wearing a costume that might "offend" someone and promoting a message of hate and racial intolerance
Old 11-04-2007, 03:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread is obviously retarded, and so are you morons that can't see the difference between wearing a costume that might "offend" someone and promoting a message of hate and racial intolerance

[/ QUOTE ]

WINNAR!
Old 11-04-2007, 04:20 AM

I agree that a costume is a costume, so who cares, but I am pretty tired of people doing stuff that they know is going to piss people off. There are about 4 million different costumes someone can wear, and about a dozen would really piss people off. Does someone have the right to wear one of those costumes without fear of being suspended? Yes. Was the kid trying to be a douche? Most likely.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It should be treated no different than any other costume. Simply being offensive is not reason enough to have this sort of backlash as you could find literally thousands of costumes that outraged someone because it was offensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's incredibly ignorant to not recognize the difference between a costume that isn't expected to offend somebody that does, and one that is expected to offend somebody that does.

Also freedom of speech is extremely limited on school grounds. It's not like when you're in your own home or out on public sidewalks. Even so, wearing a KKK outfit in public is wrong and you deserve to get the [censored] kicked out of you, which is a pretty likely outcome.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 AM

this whole thing is a really grey area imo