Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Yanks offer job to Girardi

whoever here thinks that girardi didn't run over johnson's arm is pretty stupid. that being said, girardi is not the only one to blame here; the entirety of the management crew is to blame for allowing such a process to exist.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because you said so, right?

So huge that Joe Torre has been costing his Yankees runs since... forever.

yet the YAnks are still purty good, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Switch Joe Torre with Grady Little/Dusty Baker/Larussa from 01 to 07. Not only do the Yanks miss the playoffs lose the divison multiple times...most the managers are fired within a couple of years.
LaRussa probably quits.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude they won the AL east by an average of 7 games between 01 and 06. in 05 they tied, and would have won the WC easily even if they didnt hold tie breaker. 04 they would have held a 2 game edge if they didnt win division.

you are way off here, IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
Joe's greatest asset as a manager and the reason the Yankees were so succesful during the past decade had nothing to do with the moves he made within a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

joes greatest asset is got the managerial job at the exact right time and inherited a team loaded with stars up the middle, at the front of rotation and back end of bullpen. after that he greatest asset was having a payroll 75% larger than his chief rival.

i mean cmon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sublime...come on.
you really think that some random manager handles the media/press/FO/Steinbrenner as succesfully as Torre and maintains control of his clubhouse thru good and bad times(and over the last 4-5 there has been a ton of crazyness) without allowing it to affect his team's psyche.

I mean many of the core yankees litteraly speak of Torre as a second father. you don't think that type of respect, admiration, relationship has a significant impact on both their mental psyche and overall performance thru the years while all the [censored] outside of the game is going on.

Your nuts.

I'm not saying Joe Torre is a specific number of games won.
what i am saying is with another manager...the whole yankee mystique of never being out of a game. always believing the game is still there's and the calm steadyness doesn't exist.
Even the yankees player from 96-00 attributed that trait as specifically coming from Torre.

But some random douche manager on that team and the team DOES NOT perform the same way and when the [censored] hit the fan the wheels woulda come off the bus
Old 10-31-2007, 03:13 AM

earl weaver routinely threw tantrums, got kicked out of games, handled the media like [censored], and his own players mutinied against him

my memory is not as good as it used to be. can you remind me how earl weaver's orioles did?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:14 AM

ok tim give charlie his account back
Old 10-31-2007, 03:15 AM

"I'm not saying Joe Torre is a specific number of games won."

Yea dude, you are.

You are implying that Joe Torre is worth more than most great baseball players, as a manager.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea dude, you are.

You are implying that Joe Torre is worth more than most great baseball players, as a manager.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm taking argument with Vyse in him saying that short of in game adjustments a manager has no true impact on his team or their performance which is total [censored].
Old 10-31-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
earl weaver routinely threw tantrums, got kicked out of games, handled the media like [censored], and his own players mutinied against him

my memory is not as good as it used to be. can you remind me how earl weaver's orioles did?

[/ QUOTE ]

hey man he didnt have steinbrenner breathing down his back.

did he create mystique?

was he a surrogate dad?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 AM

it isn't total [censored] because they actually measured the impact of managers on similar teams as well as various other squads of players

managers all perform at basically the same level. the only adjustment that happens is that managers LOSE additional games by doing stupid [censored].

you could look it up if you cared enough to study the issue using the socratic method or you could just reference the great tim mccarver
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yea dude, you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm taking argument with Vyse in him saying that short of in game adjustments a manager has no true impact on his team or their performance which is total [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

dude you said they would have missed the playoffs over a span of six years where they won the division by an average of 7 games.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea dude, you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on THAY3R even Olney thinks you're wrong:

"I always will believe that during the 1996-2001 dynasty, Mariano Rivera was the only uniformed member of the organization more important to the Yankees' success than Torre. They could not have won so much without him, and it remains to be seen if any Yankee manager can ever be as successful or as adept as Joe Torre. "

courtesy of fjm

craig