FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 01:24 PM

Default A tyranny by any other name

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/..._getting_tough

A subtle tyranny, but a tyranny nonetheless

Judge forces child immunizations of non-fatal diseases

Cliff notes:
A judge in maryland orders 1200 parents to appear in court because their kids haven't been immunized according to school rules.

These immunizations include things like chicken-pox, which is not fatal and rarely even results in long-term effects.

After dragging these parents into court and injecting their children on the spot under threat of jail, the smug judge said this about his complete disregard for their civil rights:

[ QUOTE ]
The judge noted the unhappy looks of some of the kids in line waiting for vaccinations.

"It's cute. It looks like their parents are dragging them to church," Nichols said.

[/ QUOTE ]

How cute! I forced all these people at gunpoint!

The kicker is that if you are poor, as usual, you are completely screwed.

[ QUOTE ]
Any children who still lack immunizations could be expelled. Their parents could then be brought up on truancy charges, which can result in a 10-day jail sentence for a first offense and 30 days for a second.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, if you don't want to inject your child, the child gets expelled. But then you are held criminally liable for not having them in school! It's not tyranny though. Nope.

As always, none of this would be an issue if parents had school choice.

natedogg
Old 11-19-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: A tyranny by any other name

Natedogg hates children imo

Also, that's the law, nothing left to debate, QED.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:51 PM

1200 parents could have fought if they wanted to. Even peaceful ways would have been powerful. Blame the tyranny yes, but also blame apathy, no working together and blind obedience.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1200 parents could have fought if they wanted to. Even peaceful ways would have been powerful. Blame the tyranny yes, but also blame apathy, no working together and blind obedience.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was asking for it! She should have fought off the rapist harder if she really cared about not being raped.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:57 PM

Natedogg & Others,

Do you guys reject wholesale the concept of public goods and externalities? I think that's silly. Our government has done a pretty good job with public health, and immunizations are a major concern of private charities working in poor countries. What tyranny should pop out at me here?

EDIT: Just to be sure, the issue here isn't school choice. Does the government have the right to mandate immunization?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As always, none of this would be an issue if parents had school choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So one then can properly tag the teacher's unions as being the de facto perpetrator of forced immunizations. It's so refreshing to see nanny-state dems be blamed for violations of personal rights instead of religious repubs.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was asking for it! She should have fought off the rapist harder if she really cared about not being raped.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what he's saying. He's saying (and I agree) that it's sad to see that people aren't willing to fight against the tyranny, they just roll over and accept it.

They may post about it on blogs and message boards but no real action is taken.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM

Do you anti-vaccination crowd believe that you should be able to sue unvaccinated children if they get you sick?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not what he's saying. He's saying (and I agree) that it's sad to see that people aren't willing to fight against the tyranny, they just roll over and accept it.

They may post about it on blogs and message boards but no real action is taken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that is what I meant so thank you for pointing it out. 1200 parents could have been a force majeure even if using using only assembly and free speech to protest. I understand that parents of small children must prioritize and will have difficulties using more severe ways of protesting.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Natedogg & Others,

Do you guys reject wholesale the concept of public goods and externalities? I think that's silly. Our government has done a pretty good job with public health, and immunizations are a major concern of private charities working in poor countries. What tyranny should pop out at me here?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Supreme court ruled that forced sterilization laws were constitutional. In his ruling, Justice Holmes said, “The principle that sustains compulsory vaccination is broad enough to cover cutting the Fallopian tubes. Three generations of imbeciles is enough."

So a woman who was thought to be an imbecile because her mother was an imbecile and who was thought to be promiscuous, was forced to be anesthetized, and operated on so that she could never have any more children. Is this tyranny enough?
Closed Thread