Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Multi tabling .10/.25 NL with 5 dollar buy in....

I play .10/.25 NL at PStars and I have seen several players who show up at tables with only a $5 buy in (max $25). It's pretty obvious how they play after you've seen them a few times. They play tight and push all in with any pocket pair over 10's and Ak and hope someone who hasn't seen their game makes a call. Everything else they fold.
They are doing this at multiple tables, so my questions are...Is this profitable? And do the "Bots" I hear about play this way? Some of these players I see in chat, some never....
Just curious...
Thanks for any replies.
Wheat/"/"/"
Old 09-26-2007, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Multi tabling .10/.25 NL with 5 dollar buy in....

Sure , that strategy may be profitable if you haven't made the necessary adjustments . You should pay more attention at the tables and recognize some of their tactics as quickly as possible .

Ideally , you don't mind if they shove with only premium hands since it allows you to get away cheaply . They are forgoing value by only picking up small pots when players soon figure out their strategy .

You should be courteous to these players and maybe even acknowledge how great you think they are . After all , these are the types of players that allow us to make fewer fundamental theorem of poker mistakes.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Any time one buys in with less than the max buy-in at a ring game, they are doing themselves a disservice, and they will profit less in the long run playing ultra-short-shove mode than they would if they played solid max buy-in poker. This of course applies most to a game as beatable as 25max.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:36 PM

This strategy works its just really high variance and boring when you have to wait. You have to have a huge bankroll compared to your regular one and people are gonna learn quick about their play. But there are a lot of donks on pokerstars.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Any time one buys in with less than the max buy-in at a ring game, they are doing themselves a disservice, and they will profit less in the long run playing ultra-short-shove mode than they would if they played solid max buy-in poker. This of course applies most to a game as beatable as 25max.

[/ QUOTE ]
They only do themselves a disservice if they could actually beat said level for a higher $$ by simply outplaying their opponents. For myself, playing this style would be foolish. However, for my wife, it would be much closer to correct since she has pretty weak post-flop play.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM

I'm currently short stacking NL25 to clear the bonus at stars, alot of people short stack on stars because the bonus clears quickly at nl25 but hardly clears at all at nl10. If you see someone just pushing in with those hands then you can just fold without QQ+. Personally I bet/raise with a far wider range player dependant, and can check down/push flops again dependant on my hand/villain.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm currently short stacking NL25 to clear the bonus at stars, alot of people short stack on stars because the bonus clears quickly at nl25 but hardly clears at all at nl10. If you see someone just pushing in with those hands then you can just fold without QQ+. Personally I bet/raise with a far wider range player dependant, and can check down/push flops again dependant on my hand/villain.

[/ QUOTE ]
people like you ruin tables and annoy me.