Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: tanenbaums book - PF questions I want 2+2 input on

It's popular to call tight players nits and assume they lose, as if the only way to win in poker these days is to be a 30/20 LAGTAG. There are many different ways to win at poker. It's not fancy and might be boring, but being a nit can definitely make money, especially live.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, I played with Tanenbaum in the Wynn 30 game a couple of months ago and he came off as nothing more than a Vegas nit. Granted he's better than Roy Cooke, but not by much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. Roy Cooke is god of the nits. You cant play in the day
Bellagio 30 w/o hearing how good he is.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's popular to call tight players nits and assume they lose, as if the only way to win in poker these days is to be a 30/20 LAGTAG. There are many different ways to win at poker. It's not fancy and might be boring, but being a nit can definitely make money, especially live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnīt agree more.For the majority of players it is better to play 24/18 than 30/20 at a typical small stakes online table.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:35 PM

ILP,

I never read either of anything roy cooke or tanenbaum have written, but as far as they play in full ring games they both play a very tight abc style of poker with roy being the tighter of the two. I'm sure they both are solid winners in the vegas 30 games, but I'm positive they leave things on the table be forgoing some creativity in hands.

For example, roy is a god (like MitchL said) among all of those vegas locals, and yet you never see him loosen up and take advantage of that image. He's not pounding nits in the blinds, or liberally raising the turn against these guys, even though with his image he should be. Same goes for Barry, I feel they both don't take advantage of a lot of these in game adjustments (mainly for them it should be lagging it up at times) that would boost their earns significantly.

When poker authors show a failure to adjust in game, and tackle the uncomfortable I don't find them very helpful as teachers.

Absolution,
Of course everybody doesn't have to be a LAGTAG, but imo it pulls more money and on top of that, raising is a lot more fun than folding.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:38 AM

Hi. Sorry I'm late to the party. I think you are talking about Limit Hold'em: Winning Short-Handed Strategies by Borer and Mak. This is not my book, though I did have a significant hand in editing and fixing it. I did not write the book or the examples.

At no time in my book (Advanced Limit Hold'em Strategies) did I either give this example, talk about six-handed poker, or discuss $1-$2 hold'em.

ALHS is completely about full game strategy at middle and lower high limits. No low limit examples, no short-handed plays.

I noticed a comment about the Wynn. I played there twice in the last several months, never for more than an hour. In both cases I was passing by or waiting for someone. First,everyone knows I play tightly in the first hour of any game. Second, the way that game was playing, tight was the only way to make money, IMO. I adapt to my surroundings, which does on occasion make me look like a nit. It's OK by me if you think I am one.

Thanks for listening. I just wanted to get the books straight since I noticed some comments about ALHS wound into this thread.

-barryt
Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 AM

fold
Old 10-31-2007, 10:13 AM

If he starts doing the things you say, he will no longer have a tight image and I don't think it will take people that long to realize he's gone from TAG to LAGTAG. TAG can win more than LAGTAG in certain games. I'm not saying that he is playing optimally because I have no idea about his games, but I think assuming a 26/16 player is not winning as much as a 30/20 is just like assuming that the 40/25 is a fish.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM

i fold kjo everytime.
KJs i call almost everytime if at least 1 player is "bad". If, however UTG is 24/19 standard TAG and the sb or bb are also TAGS, i fold.

T9s ... well it sucks, he is also raising qt jt j9 ... so i like KJ way more than T9.i think t9 is call if the bb/or coldcaller is a pretty bad fish who will pay you out

My point is, it makes no sense to coldcall those hands if they can play gooood postflop
Old 10-31-2007, 11:24 AM

Easy muck on both.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:52 PM

Unknown UTG, Unknown CO, that's impossible, and so is the answer then.

Two loose things and you have T9s; that's enough if it isn't raised, now it's raised, does it matter, I bet it does. I remember from Paradise when I was watching it a million years ago and then half a million years ago that generally even high limit players there seemed to like to cold call with suited connectors on the button even with a one gap when they were the 2nd cold caller, and if there are two cold callers they might call even with three cappers.

I don't think marginal questions are such big deals especially in good games. One is not going to get any poorer doing whatever as they don't happen too often.