Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Stud questions

When playing Stud, are you required to maintain the order in which your up-cards are dealt to you, or can you mix them up?
If someone asks what order the cards were dealt, are you required to tell them?

Also, at showdown, if someone asks which card you got on the river, are you required to reveal this, or can you also mix up the order of your down cards?

On a different topic, I was playing Stud the other day and there were five players going to the river and six cards left in the deck. The dealer dealt a community card face up rather than a card face down to everyone. He said you had to have a burn card and a card left over at the bottom of the deck in order for everyone to get a card.

This seems absurd to me, and much more damaging to the integrity of the game than just dealing the bottom card from the deck, especially since a cut card is being used. If anything, the dealer should be reshuffling the burn cards from previous streets and dealing them on 7th before resorting to a community card on the river. What the hell is the purpose of this rule?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Stud questions

[ QUOTE ]
When playing Stud, are you required to maintain the order in which your up-cards are dealt to you, or can you mix them up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Intentionally changing the order of your board cards is considered cheating. If someone asks the order of your board cards (b/c of sloppy dealing procedures or you not straightening your cards as dealt or even b/c of confusion), you should tell them the order.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, at showdown, if someone asks which card you got on the river, are you required to reveal this, or can you also mix up the order of your down cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's perfectly fine to lie about your starting hand and whether you rivered your final holding. It's also fine to brush off these questions.

As for your last question, I'm not sure (except for the fact that I know a community card is used if the dealer runs out of cards). In my 6 or so years playing stud, I've never even seen this situation occur - must be a good game.

Jeff
Old 11-03-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for your last question, I'm not sure (except for the fact that I know a community card is used if the dealer runs out of cards). In my 6 or so years playing stud, I've never even seen this situation occur - must be a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a Omaha 8/Stud 8 game where Stud is dealt 9-handed. It was only the second time I had played in the game, so I had never seen it before, but the regulars didn't seem to think it was that unusual.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a Omaha 8/Stud 8 game where Stud is dealt 9-handed. It was only the second time I had played in the game, so I had never seen it before, but the regulars didn't seem to think it was that unusual.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some rooms always put up a community card rather than sometimes shuffling the burns and sometimes putting up a community. It can create confusion when sometimes the burns are shuffled and sometimes a community card is dealt (there will be times there aren't enough cards to shuffle the burns and a community card has to be dealt). I prefer shuffling the burns, but always doing the community card when there aren't enough cards is faster.