Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 07:24 AM

Default 200NL JTo hits TTP - How Would You Deal With The Aggressive BB?

Villain is more or less unknown, but I do have notes indicating that he’s very loose (playing hands like 74s in EP) and one very specific note telling me that he may bet out on the flop into a pre-flop raiser with a flopped set.

Bodog Poker No Limit Hold'Em, $1/$2 (9 handed).

SB ($70)
Villain/BB ($439)
UTG ($183)
UTG+1 ($220)
UTG+2 ($93)
MP1 ($93)
MP2 ($57)
CO ($217)
Hero/Button ($194)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, 2 folds, Hero calls, SB calls, Villain checks.

Flop: ($10) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 players)
SB checks, Villain bets $6.50, 2 folds, Hero raises to $20, Villain raises to $33.50, Hero calls.

Turn$77) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 players)
Villain bets $63. Hero calls.

River: ($203) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Villain bets $95.51. Hero?

I gave very serious thought to pushing on both the flop and the turn but my note on Villain (in addition to the re-raise on the flop, of course) made me very suspicious that I might be beaten. Do you fold at some point in this hand and, if so, where?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: JTo hits TTP - How Would You Deal With The Aggressive BB?

When the 7 hit, I would have wished that I had raised the turn, but I probably would have called, too. I think he got there with the 7, but I can't fold now because I suck. Probably should, though. I do hate two pair. I'd call and add to my notes.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 AM

If your notes on him say he is loose, then you shouldn't be limping with hands like JTo.

As played, you hit the flop hard against a loose villain. You have to get it in.

River is a tough spot as he could have a random 9. i would probably make a crying call.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:54 AM

But the fact he's loose doesn't really make a difference if he's in the blind, does it? There were also several other limpers so I'm not sure why raising w JTo is clearly the right play here. Always keen to debate it, though!

And I know crying calls have their place, but I'm not sure I like them if they cost me the rest of my stack when I think I'm almost certainly beaten! Am I realistically ahead here often enough to justify that call on the river?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There were also several other limpers so I'm not sure why raising w JTo is clearly the right play here. Always keen to debate it, though!

[/ QUOTE ]

because you want to punish limpers when you have the button?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM

Punish them with JTo?! I'm all for raising pre-flop, particularly in position, but that's not a hand with which to administer a beating to limpers who (in this sort of game) will probably call with marginal, but better, hands.

Isn't it better to limp here and try to catch a flop cheaply?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:53 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I thought villain was UTG. i didn't read all the way to the end of the preflop line. And when your read said he plays crap from EP....
Anyways, i need to learn to read.

Although, i'm not sure how much changes with villain being BB and not UTG. Villain in the BB could have anything. A loose and bad villain could have close to anything. On the flop you are ahead of his range and should try to get it in.

As for preflop, i'm advocating a fold, not a raise.

I know you want help on the river, but we should have never been in this spot. It is a tough spot. If he is bad, this could be a butchered overpair, TP or worse TP. Anything is possible.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:19 PM

Yeah. Not a great spot on the river at all. FWIW, I decided I was beaten (although still not sure by what) and folded.

Really not sure folding JT on the button after a couple of limpers is the right play, though. It's not a great hand, but surely not -EV in late position?!