Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 10-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Non-poker books that have helped your poker game

I was reading former National Chess and World Tai Chi champ Josh Waitzkin's, 'The Art of Learning' the other day and realized that the principles he discusses would be great to apply to my (currently fishy) poker game. Mostly these relate to areas that would help keep tilt under control (which I desparately need help with) and maintain focus at critical times. As an example, Josh's discovery that being 'on' 100% of the time hurt his chess game long-term was an eye opener for me.

I also find that my play is better for a period after I've been reading genuinely difficult material, regardless of the material's subject matter. I'm sure this has something to do with the need to lift my thought process a little higher in reading tougher stuff and that the improved mental acuity carries over into my game.

Has anyone had any other instances where non-poker books/reading have helped (or could help) their poker play?
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Non-poker books that have helped your poker game

Flip The Switch: 40 Anytime, Anywhere Meditations in 5 Minutes or Less by Eric Harrison.

This book has help me with tilt and focus issues. It's been a great help getting me to focus on the table and prevent me from making emotion driven decisions. Best of all, the meditation techniques don't require you to sit under a bodhi tree and meditate for hours every day. Like the title says, they take less than 5 minutes (many just a few seconds).
Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM

The Art of War - Sun Tzu

Poker and Philosophy (not a poker strategy book, which is what I assume the OP means by "non-poker" book. but it really made me think about a lot of poker situations in different ways).
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

"Emotions Revealed" by Paul Ekman
Old 10-23-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also find that my play is better for a period after I've been reading genuinely difficult material, regardless of the material's subject matter. I'm sure this has something to do with the need to lift my thought process a little higher in reading tougher stuff and that the improved mental acuity carries over into my game.

Has anyone had any other instances where non-poker books/reading have helped (or could help) their poker play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't tried reading difficult material before playing, but I too find that I play better, especially live, if I read something beforehand. This could be a poker magazine, or non-poker material. But I definitely play better after reading something. Maybe it just warms my mind up.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:02 PM

Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 PM

obv a bots reference
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 PM

"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" by Hunter S. Thompson

It teaches a great deal about self control and not making any quick decisions without first properly considering all the variables.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:48 PM

I wonder how useful the book Blink would be. I have not read it, but this is a book that teaches you to go with your first instict.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder how useful the book Blink would be. I have not read it, but this is a book that teaches you to go with your first instict.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first instinct was not to read or buy it...i think that has proved very useful [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]