Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 10-17-2007, 06:58 PM

Default Re: AQs UTG(El Foldio)

You're proposing a strategy that tries to make opponents bluff more against me, making them harder to read. Regardless of the merits of this laydown, I can't see how that's a good thing.

If I were to ever show down a hand that I didn't have to (because I folded or because a better hand has been shown), I'd much rather show down a weak hand I'd called down with that had some odds of winning to possibly indicate that I'll call down with anything.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:24 PM

We all know or should know this and have read or heard it time and again: "The worst mistake you can make in limit poker is folding a winner on the river. When in doubt, call"

With her I felt fine at the time about folding this one. Very much read specific and not merely just odds-math specific. I can certainly see arguments for just calling one more though so I can understand some that may utterly hate this fold here. Believe me, I am a firm believer in calling one more in a big pot on the end when I'm not sure. Then why call a turn bet? Well, one more card to come to spike and A or Q obv. If I do boat up on the river there is a good chance of getting some more bets out of her. If that happens pot will now be more like 11-13 bets.

Now the question: Did I feel fine when she showed me her cards?????????
Old 10-17-2007, 07:30 PM

You're keeping us in suspense man. What did she have? AxKs?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:31 PM

Oh and I never(hard to never in poker)show my hands. I think that if I did show here what I was laying down I would get walked all over by some of the players. Nor do I sigh disgustingly when I fold like in this situation. Just fold and go onto the next hand
Old 10-17-2007, 08:17 PM

You're not leaving us with much wiggle room here.

If you have a great read on her, nice read and good fold. But I'd need a really, really good read to lay this hand down.

I mean, the question is: How good is your read?

We can't answer that, only you can.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:29 PM

An idea is that because you can't call down every time and you can't fold every time, you have to pick some spots to call down.

This is a good spot to call turn and river against a habitual checkraiser because you have outs and may actually be in the lead. A8 or 85 could very well be her "draw hand". And she may have chosen to slowplay a flopped two pair.
Since you beat every other two pair, call the river. If you had a ROCK SOLID 100% read then fold the turn, you don't have the odds for a 4-outer -- (9+2):1 isn't good enough.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:34 PM

Alrighty then. She showed me 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the flush on the turn. I said nice hand to her. One of those times where you know for certain they have it for whatever reason. She had a pattern of always playing these hands this way every freakin time. Any str8 or any flush, She would always go for the C/R and since she never deviated from this pattern the fold was easier than playing against someone else, getting great odds to call the river. Not really a sick read on my part but I had no doubt that I was beat. I hung in to spike an A or Q [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. She also had a habit of always showing her uncalled winning hands so she was very predictable. Even though I played with her several times before, she didn't seem to recall who I was.

I always wear a different hat each session
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM

Hey Frond

Why'd you post this hand?

-McGee
Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 PM

When I first saw the title of this post I was like OMGs you folded AQs utg? wtf lol

Onto the actual hand - I fold when I am playing well. Calling is probably a very very small mistake but it really doesn't matter that much in the long run IMO. It might hurt you long term win rate by like .01BB/100
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I do boat up on the river there is a good chance of getting some more bets out of her. If that happens pot will now be more like 11-13 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty optimistic.

There's about 9 bets in when you make the call. If you boat up, this type of player isn't going nuts on the river. In fact, she'll probably check/call on the paired board.

Don't count the money you have yet to put in as part of the pot. It's a 9 bet pot to you and if you hit, you'll likely only get one more. So, instead of 11-13, it's more like 10-11. Pretty close.

An interesting situation might be if the 4th flush card hits and she checks to you on the river. Bet?

b