Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit

Old 10-11-2007, 03:46 PM

Default A9o in the SB: (Passive City)

ALL ABOARD!!!!! Next stop: Passiville. Check this line I took on this hand. Not sure if this is okay or just plain weak.

8/16 live game. Table has been pretty tightish for a while until this new guy entered the game and all of a sudden pots are 7 ways consistently.

Reads: Villain in this hand is the BB. He is a pleasant guy about 55 or so with an ipod. He doesn't seem agg at all but a bit weakish if anything. He has been losing so far going a bit to far with some hands. A mini spewer. Not a winning type player. I haven't seen him raise a hand PF yet in 45 minutes. My image has been solid and people have been staying away from me in pots when I bet etc.

Da Hand: 6 limpers to Hero in the Small blind with A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Hero Completes, BB raps. 8 ways

(7.5 SBs) Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Hero Bets, BB raises quickly with confidence, 4 callers, Hero Calls. 6 ways

(9.75 BBs) Turn comes the A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero Checks, BB bets confidently, 3 callers, Hero calls. 5 ways

(14.75 BBs) River comes the Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Hero Checks, BB pauses for about 15 seconds and bets, 2 callers, Hero calls.

18.75 BBs Total

Flop: I can't really see going for a C/R since nobody raised PF but maybe some of you would have been thinking that line here. Should I have 3 bet here or not with BB's quick raise or play it as I did?

Turn: Lead out here or?

River: I am not sure where I am at in this hand so I checked it with plans to call it down in dis here $300ish pot.

I don't often just C/C a hand most of the way like this but it almost seemed right to me based on the BB's actions. I can easily be outkicked here. I'm almost sure he has an Ace but his kicker? Still not sure if I played it okay or should I think about opening up an account at Lady Foot Locker [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Re: A9o in the SB: (Passive City)

I play it the same and expect to lose more often than not, but you're pretty much a slave to the pot size. Only spot I might fold is the flop.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:46 PM

Don't worry, The Chrissy Evert tennis shoes on sale won't fit you, and a beer won't fall from the sky on you either PF or on the flop.

But that turn...now you have 2 hearts on the board, so upping the price of poker sounds good but:
1) If you bet out, I doubt BB raises to hurt the flush draws,
2) c/r doesn't work either to make them face 2 cold unless BB has the brains and balls to 3 bet.
3) Even if you c/r the turn and get 3 bet, how could you let it go at that point?
4) And if you are ahead, look at all the deadwood still in the hand. More deadwood than the money a raise would generate. The only draw threat is what happened, a heart.

Also, A9 is only a slight dog to A* coming out of BB with a random kicker on this board, but you are always OOP.

No, no tutu's and tights for you...this time. And with no river raise out of all the callers, I'm most worried about the 1st caller, it looks like you've got the rest beat unless someone has a real small flush and is also gutless.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM

Uggggh.

Ok, flop goot. What else are you really going to do there?

I'd donk the turn. If villain raises he's helping protect my hand from the flush and straight draw. We're beat, but at least giving ourselves a better chance to win the pot. So b/c turn.

As played, I think you have to check the river and see what happens. As it is, you call it. The only street I don't like is the turn.

And, OMG, Frond keeps changing his avatar, I'm so confused...
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 PM

I like it, but then I have been accused of being w/t on occasion. As you've described it (and your descriptions are usually very detailed) it certainly sounds like BB flopped two pair and boated up on the turn. His pause on the river meant either: (a) he had trips and was worried about the flush or (b) he had a boat and was considering a c/r but thought the better of it b/c of the relative passivity (I prefer the word caution here) of the action.

Again, some will read this as monster-conjuring. But if your reads are right (and they usually are) I smell a boat here. Sometimes losing the minimum is winning.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes losing the minimum is winning

[/ QUOTE ]

Losing the minimum is always winning. Awesome.

I still like the turn donk. I think it is worth the one extra bet we spend having villain protect our hand for us and give us a better chance to win the pot if he is indeed strong enough to raise again.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still like the turn donk. I think it is worth the one extra bet we spend having villain protect our hand for us and give us a better chance to win the pot if he is indeed strong enough to raise again.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands do you want to fold to improve our chances of winning?
Old 10-11-2007, 06:47 PM

Draws. Two cold on the turn often causes people who suck to incorrectly fold their draws.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:04 PM

I just feel like you've changed our villains around all of a sudden. The guy who called two cold with 86o on the flop is going to call two cold on the turn also, because these players live for the big pot. If they peeled the flop with nothing more than a backdoor [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] draw, maybe with a pair, they are surely going to see the river now that they've improved.

Anyway, if you want him to improve your equity by raising, doesn't that assume that you think there's a substantial chance you're ahead even when our weak, non-aggressive villain raises?
Old 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm not opposed to donking the turn.. at my game I see a lot of players raising the flop and then checking behind on the turn. Villain could be getting cute with something like 65s, which might be something a "mini-spewer" would do. But ultimately I'd say Frond played it perfectly because of this...
"I don't often just C/C a hand most of the way like this but it almost seemed right to me based on the BB's actions."
Many times I read lots of posts on this board that advocate aggression for aggression's sake. But when you trust your gut and your instincts are confirmed it bolsters your confidence and tells the table that you're paying attention. (Besides, if you occasionally miss a bet like this the others will be misled into thinking you're much weaker than is the case.)