Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Default Running/HIIT and squats - newb questions

OK, so I haven't ran since middle school and I'm looking to get into better shape. I'm not extremely fat or anything, I'm 6'0 160-165lbs, but I have like 0 cardio endurance/stamina. I'm doing full body workouts every other day and HIIT on the days I'm not working out.

Today was only my third day doing HIIT, so I'm not expecting immediate results, but it felt much worse than the previous two times (even though the first was on a bike at the gym). During today I just couldn't sprint, I'm not really sure what it was but it was physically impossible for me to get it going. My upper thighs felt tight and restricted. I've been stretching 2-3 times a day for the past week and stretched before I ran. I was still a bit sore from squats yesterday. Also, during the run my lower legs (all around my shins) were in pain. Since I haven't ran in ages, is this expected? Am I working out out small muscles that haven't been used in a while? Is there a guide explaining proper running form? Sometimes it feels like I'm running flat-footed and I know that can't be good. I'm ran on pavement since the soccer fields were being used, should I try to run on grass?

Also quick question regarding squats... if I just do body weight (no bar or weights) squats it actually feels like I'm working my legs harder. I've watched the video posted here a while ago and believe I have good form with and without weight. According to http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html I should be able to squat 110 untrained, but just doing 45 seems pretty tough. Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Running/HIIT and squats - newb questions

You should definitely take it a little easy, especially with the running.

I don't think you can go from nothing to sprinting intervals, there has to be some general conditioning period where you get your body acclimated to exercise again. FWIW, I made the same mistake about 8 months ago.

Do a search on here for a good running program designed for couch potatoes. I forgot the name. It gradually increases the amount of running so that you don't injure yourself in the beginning.

WRT the squats, are you sure you're not achieving greater depth with bodyweight only vs the weighted squats? That could be one reason why it might feel harder. The difference between parallel squats and below parallel is pretty big. It also could be the speed with which you execute the bodyweight squats. Otherwise, it might just be in your head.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:41 AM

ATG squats (as far as I can go, my left knee doesn't have full range of motion, I had ACL surgery ~3 years ago) After doing body weight squats I'm much more sore than from doing 45lb squats. Maybe I'm doing something wrong when I add weight.

I think I might just jog for 20 minutes or so next time I do cardio.

Thanks for your help
Old 10-10-2007, 12:30 PM

HIIT is pretty brutal; I wouldn't recommend a beginner do it at all really, let alone several times a week. Definitely ease into it.

I wouldn't worry about the squat thing. My guess is that it's in your head.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HIIT is pretty brutal; I wouldn't recommend a beginner do it at all really, let alone several times a week. Definitely ease into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. And all this sprinting intervals multiple times a week for HIIT I've seen people refer to in the last few months-- mind-bending to me. Once a week, and only for a few weeks in a row on the sprints-- if at all.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are totally different kinds of HIIT. i think the 20 sprint/10 jog HIIT is really intense and probably shouldn't be done by beginners. I was in reasonably good shape starting this and it was pretty tough.

But something like running 100 yards at %90, then taking a 30-40 second break,and doing 10 of these, i think is definitely more doable for a beginner. It definitely is tough, but I did this as a beginner and never really felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there are totally different kinds of HIIT. i think the 20 sprint/10 jog HIIT is really intense and probably shouldn't be done by beginners. I was in reasonably good shape starting this and it was pretty tough.

But something like running 100 yards at %90, then taking a 30-40 second break,and doing 10 of these, i think is definitely more doable for a beginner. It definitely is tough, but I did this as a beginner and never really felt like I was on the verge of a heart attack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, true. I usually think of Tabata protocol sprinting, which is definitely too much for a beginner. Most of my friends do a 30 sec sprint/30 sec jog thing which is also pretty tough. But I guess if you used longer rest periods and did it on a stationary bike or something, it could be more beginner-friendly.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:05 PM

Minor hijack;

My gym does not have a track. Changing gyms not really optimal right now. Any tips for how to do HIIT on a treadmill? Changing speeds on the treadmill sucks a lot when running at 90%+ effort.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Minor hijack;

My gym does not have a track. Changing gyms not really optimal right now. Any tips for how to do HIIT on a treadmill? Changing speeds on the treadmill sucks a lot when running at 90%+ effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Run in the street.

HIIT also doesn't have to be running. Tabata "thrusters" is a good replacement. I'm sure the Crossfit guys have lots of alternatives to running.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Run longer intervals. IMO, trying to do a Tabata Protocol or 30 seconds on/30 off at a level of all out, maximum exertion sprint is completely ludicrous. If you are truly going all out, your form will break down significantly by interval #3 and injuries are soon to follow. I've not seen a study out that used repeated maximum exertion sprints as their training program.

When running intervals, try to run at the maximum pace for which you can maintain relaxed shoulders, good running posture, and a fluid turnover. You should not be straining. The obsession with the 4 minute Tabata protocol is silly. It shouldn't be the workout of choice for 99% of the population. Do HIIT on the treadmill with intervals varying anywhere from 1-4 minutes. Put in sessions of 20-30 minutes. You'll get a ton out of it and are less likely to get hurt.