Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 10-01-2007, 01:43 PM

Default 20-40 at the Commerce... Pissed off BB

Afternoon crowd... pretty tight, bunch of old guys not really getting out of line.

I'm having to play tighter than normal due to the line-up but I'm stealing more than my fair share of blinds. I get the feeling the guy three to my left is sick of getting his BB raised everytime I'm on the CU (button in this situation is WAY overly tight and I'm stealing alot).

He's already made a couple comments about how at my age I should be at work or something. I responded by saying at his age he should probably be dead or something.

Anyways, one limper to me:

I raise with 10[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Button and SB fold. BB 3-bets. Limper dumps. I cap.

Flop

J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB bets, I raise, BB calls.

Turn 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, BB C/R's, WTF... instinctually I 3 bet (SPEW)... BB thinks forever, cuts out another raise, then just calls.

River is 10[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets? I call... my gut said he had AJ of spades...

thoughts on all streets
Old 10-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Default Re: 20-40 at the Commerce... Pissed off BB

Just call the river. He may have loosened up his range and called with a A-9, K-9, Q-9, J-9, 10-9, 9-9 or 8-9, down to 7-9, especially if you have been stealing his blinds all day.

You give him too much credit for A-J, since he would have pushed back much earlier with that to prevent your stealing. Even rocks fight a late position steal raise with that holding.

Otherwise all the other streets were fine.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:59 PM

I wouldn't cap PF here, but would JJ, so it doesn't matter much.

Flop: call and not really close.

Turn: Three bet is horrible.

River: Calling given action is best. If u had called F/T as I would have (although calling flop and raising turn might be better), I would raise river though.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM

I think this hand is pretty bad on all streets. When bad old men at Commerce start getting aggro, it's not because they don't have a hand and are tilting, it's because they finally picked up something they could stick up the ass of the young punk who's been pickin' on them.

He has QQ/KK here a lot. When he 3-bets PF, just call and see a flop to reevaluate. I'd just call the flop and raise the river. (Turn would be different if you just called the flop... but as played it's a standard bet/call). What it looks like is he did the righteous-old-man-checkraise on the turn with AA or KK, and your 3-bet was terrible. Then you finally got there on the river and decided to just call? He never does this with a flush draw or a 9.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM

I don't usually 4bet JJ or TT here.

I'd check this turn like 90% of the time. Maybe less, it depends. 3betting is lol and I assume you're calling the river if it bricks off?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:14 PM

Checking this turn would be so retarded. Agree with the rest of what you said though.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think this hand is pretty bad on all streets. When bad old men at Commerce start getting aggro, it's not because they don't have a hand and are tilting, it's because they finally picked up something they could stick up the ass of the young punk who's been pickin' on them.

He has QQ/KK here a lot. When he 3-bets PF, just call and see a flop to reevaluate. I'd just call the flop and raise the river. (Turn would be different if you just called the flop... but as played it's a standard bet/call). What it looks like is he did the righteous-old-man-checkraise on the turn with AA or KK, and your 3-bet was terrible. Then you finally got there on the river and decided to just call? He never does this with a flush draw or a 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you up until the river. It sure looks like we should be good, but after hero 3-bet the turn, what is the old man betting out the river with?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:40 PM

Sorry, n.s., I was replying to your post and accidentally edited it instead. I think I restored everything you wrote.

My reply is basically that your point is good. I meant I would raise the river after only calling the turn. As played, his river donk is pretty strong vs. a turn 3-bettor, so that leans towards a flat-call. I wouldn't be surprised to see JJ here.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:00 PM

I agree my turn play was atrocious...

*one note... something that made me 4-bet preflop is that this guy was pretty straight-forward (not the type of guy to act)... and when he 3 bet pre-flop it looked like it really "hurt" him to do so. This would lead me to believe he had identified I was a late position raiser and had decided to 3 -bet most pairs and any two broadway cards.

Based on my read I felt good about 4 bets preflop.

However, accepting that my turn was a spew... what if I just check behind and/or just call the 2 bet... In this instance I'll feel somewhat required to raise the river.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's already made a couple comments about how at my age I should be at work or something. I responded by saying at his age he should probably be dead or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you guys think it's +ev to take a player who plays predictably/badly and possibly put him in a mood where you don't know wtf to do against him?

I'm not saying that is what happened in this hand, and I wasn't att he table, so I don't know OPs tone when he said this, but I can't imagine this table talk is great vs. a guy with position on you.