Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Taking Shots at Higher Limits

i dont know if you guys have a set method for this but i thought i would pose the question...

i have been bankrolled and played high as 5/10 online but had to withdraw a hefty amount because i had financial problems. so now i find myself back down at .5/1 grinding trying to get a roll back together. i was going to ask at what point should i take shots at higher levels. i know i should never let my roll dip below 300 bb so i was wondering if i get it up to around 400-450 BB should i take a shot at the next level stopping if i drop back down.

i dont know if there is a set way to do this but i was wondering how other players take shots at higher limits if they have a bankroll limiting strategy and how they apply in this situation

thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Taking Shots at Higher Limits

[ QUOTE ]
i know i should never let my roll dip below 300 bb

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Suppose you had exactly 300 BB. You post your blind in the first hand and don't win it. Now your bankroll has less than 300 BB. Does this mean you should drop down?

What happens to you if you busto?
Old 09-05-2007, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true. Suppose you had exactly 300 BB. You post your blind in the first hand and don't win it. Now your bankroll has less than 300 BB. Does this mean you should drop down?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt mean this to be taken in such a literal sense. that is if it gets below 300bb drastically (30-50 BB) we drop down. atleast thats how i have been doing it so that i do not have to worry about going broke. i know if im at 299 im not going to stop playing that limit i was just making a little point.

i was hoping we would focus on the point of taking shots at higher limits instead of little nit picking things that are slightly stated wrong
Old 09-05-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt mean this to be taken in such a literal sense. that is if it gets below 300bb drastically (30-50 BB) we drop down. atleast thats how i have been doing it so that i do not have to worry about going broke. i know if im at 299 im not going to stop playing that limit i was just making a little point.

i was hoping we would focus on the point of taking shots at higher limits instead of little nit picking things that are slightly stated wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Then answer the second question: What happens if you busto?
Old 09-05-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By the way, this highlights a major fallacy of "bankroll management" for lots of micro players. You're willing to play your bankroll "down" to only 30-50 BB, but you're not willing to play your bankroll "up" with only 100 BB.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:11 PM

so what ur sayin is with my 350 i have online i should play up to 1/2 im not really sure what ur getting at here. please explain

as for when i go busto i believe im done playing as i would not have any other money
Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so what ur sayin is with my 350 i have online i should play up to 1/2 im not really sure what ur getting at here. please explain

[/ QUOTE ]

Your bankroll doesn't remember where you were, it only knows where you are. If you're willing to play $.50/1 from 300 BB all the way down to 50 BB, then you should be comfortable playing with 100-150 BB as well. If this is true, then why not play with 100-150 BB at the next level?

[ QUOTE ]
as for when i go busto i believe im done playing as i would not have any other money

[/ QUOTE ]

So your busto has no reload ever? Get a job. If you aren't in a position where you can save up a $300 BR in less than a year, you're probably not in position to use the $300 you've currently got for playing poker.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:25 PM

i can deffinately reload the fact is i dont want to if i dont have to. i think if i manage the roll i have i wont hav to reload. i dont want to have to put more money online if i dont need to. i have hit some terrible downswings and dont want to have to deal with going bust.

so i think i might keep my 300 roll and grind up to like 450 and then take a shot. im kind of sconservative because i dont want to have to redeposit being its so hard to do not

i have a job and make a couple hundred a week just dont want to have to put it back into poker
Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 PM

15-BB challenge.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
15-BB challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm possibly best idea yet