Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

View Poll Results: Who here has actually had AA beat all-in preflop?
Once 6 5.71%
I fucked your sister 43 40.95%
And your mom, too 56 53.33%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: September\'s Bells and Schools Thread

So i made a pretty rash trip to DC (11 hrs one way) with my roommate and a friend.

Trip was nice, i had no idea how awesome those kids from Georgetown have it.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you had a sister with a bum leg would you still use the word 'lame'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not. But I wouldn't get holier than thou about it either.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly. It's not fair nor kind to attribute harmful intent casually. Even worse when that is taken as a flimsy pretext for one's own attacks. Such attacks are by definition overcompensating, but peculiar to some of the fondest celebrants of political correctness is the degree to which they are willing to aggress against others when they find a real or imagined infraction. The delight I've seen some PC types exhibit over the chance to leap in and bludgeon some hapless stranger has been repugnant.

[/ QUOTE ]

The people you describe are of course being the opposite of politically correct. If we accept the definition of political correctness to be both accurate and civilized in your speaking of your opinion. Therefore they are not PC types, they are hypocritical, righteous, self esteem issued, two faced douchebags.
You've mentioned it a couple of times, I'd be curious where you might be encountering this behavior.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's entirely a matter of opinion. They think they're politically correct. Importantly, whether you like being a douchebag or not, being a douchebag is not an argument against being politically correct. Tne two are not even close to mutually exclusive. Aye, and there's the rub.

I've noticed this among my friends who think they are more high-minded than they really are. Some who have real trouble with race -- though they are quite oblivious of this and would swear to the contrary -- and very few non-white friends, and who seem to take it as a particular point of pride when they do, are among the most politically correct. And FWIW, I think being high-minded must include not being a douchebag, or at least giving not being one a pretty fair shot. Being a douchebag by trying to publicly shame others and bring to the fore relative non-events of speech at others' expense seems to me to relinquish any standing they have as to measure, judgment, and non-douchebagginess.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I use 'retarded' quite often regarding poker players and plays. It seems about as precise and pithy a word as I can think of. If someone finds it offensive then they're probably just gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like this mentality accurately expresses the way i feel about word choice around close friends. (they know i am not a hateful or bigoted person, so i feel free to use offensive words because my friends will understand the intent).

around new people, you can very quickly judge whether or not somoene will be bothered by the use of the word "retarded," "gay," "bitch," and on down the line. use discretion based on that judgment. it's pretty simple to avoid offending people as long as you hold back a little until you know them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

What mitigates against this being as easy as you say is that some people whip out the political correctness gambit very opportunistically, especially when mad. People who have cursed around you and said all kinds of things may sometimes instantly change to prudes if they think they can get some mileage off it. I've seen this with women more than men, who will sometimes try to swing the "fairer sex" crap in. I've had more than one try this with me, and my response has been something along the lines of, "As many times as I've heard you say eff this or that, it's a little late to get all delicate now."

People won't avoid trying stuff just because it's stupid.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you had a sister with a bum leg would you still use the word 'lame'?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

See I probably would. I no longer know what's appropriate and what isn't. Do you think it's possible I spend too much time on a message board? I don't see anything wrong with the words "lame" "retarded" "crazy" or "insane". They have permeated my vocabulary and daily life. I thought they were accepted. I seriously think I need sensitivity training. it's like i've become very lax and crude since discovering the internet.

The whole reason I asked the question in the first place is that I called someone retarded today. Well to be precise, I didn't call HER retarded, I called her excuses retarded. It did not go over well.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What mitigates against this being as easy as you say is that some people whip out the political correctness gambit very opportunistically, especially when mad. People who have cursed around you and said all kinds of things may sometimes instantly change to prudes if they think they can get some mileage off it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh my god. This is exactly how I felt today when this girl became deeply offended after I used the word "retarded" when referring to her excuses for not paying me money she owes me. I was totally thrown for a loop. Here's someone who's behaving like a complete con artist, a child, and a user and all of a sudden she's going politically correct on ME? She had my head spinning. I didn't know how to argue with her and I truly felt bad the rest of the day for daring to use the word "retarded". Sheesh. Nevertheless, I'll probably think twice before I ever use that word outside of the internet community again.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:18 AM

Katy,

I don't think I've ever called anyone retarded in my life or used the word in connection with another such as you did when you called someone's excuses retarded. I have, however, and still do use the term "mentally retarded," but only when it applies to people who are mentally retarded--and I see little difference between "mentally retarded" and "mentally challenged." However, I'm certainly willing to listen to arguments against my use of the term, and if I find them substantive, I will not use "mentally retarded." I figure it's no skin off my ass to adjust my vocabulary to save someone else's feelings.

Oscar Wilde said that "a gentlemen is someone who never insults someone unintentionally." It is, I think, a thought to live by.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:23 AM

Blarg,

You are completely wrongheaded throughout this thread, but I'm having the best time reading your posts.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oscar Wilde said that "a gentlemen is someone who never insults someone unintentionally." It is, I think, a thought to live by.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that's the case, why are we forbidding people from using "retarded" as a deliberate insult? Generally, I'm speaking amongst the casual ribbing that goes on between friends, but they're still deliberate insults nonetheless.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:19 AM

Katy,

Next time just scowl like a Klingon with a urinary infection and say, 'How about you stop trying to change the subject and give me the money you owe me.'

And don't let her deviate from this. Just keep repeating that and say it louder each time.
Closed Thread